DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just got a 2012 Ram 1500 with the NAV system. After I pulled out of the lot I noticed that the NAV system is very inaccurate. My location on the map is off by about 30 miles. Has anyone ever seen this problem?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Yes I had a problem with mine like that when I first installed it. Basically, it couldn't get a good signal from a satellite so it just guessed and was very bad. Eventually after just driving for a while it sorted itself out.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
The Nav systems are very inaccurate, at least if you are planning a longer trip

The Radios, called Media Centers, or MYGIG Radio
use 2 different mapping systems, some have the Garmin maps & the rest use NAVTEQ mapping

They can sometimes be behind on new roads by a year or more
I check Google to see where i am going, before i leave the house, especially if i am going a distance. That way i can see what the larger communities are that i have to pass through. When i enter the New Destination on my Rams Nav, i don't type New York City, i enter a community along the way, like Tuscon Az. when i am starting out from say San Diego.
Otherwise the Rams mapping system will either put me on Interstate 10 or Interstate 70 & both would add 100s of miles to my New York destination

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi. I just got a 2012 Ram 1500 with the NAV system. After I pulled out of the lot I noticed that the NAV system is very inaccurate. My location on the map is off by about 30 miles. Has anyone ever seen this problem?
Mine is very accurate. It's dead on...maybe a couple of feet. Is there a setting in the setup to recalibrate or tweak the location. I had a handheld GPS that had that option. Worth looking into.

G

·
Nav Accuracy?

I just bought my Bighorn and it came with the Garmin setup. I have always used and had Nav units in any vehicle I owned, so I can make the comparison. The Garmin in this 1500 has been dead on from the get-go. I have run it against the portable Garmin I have and compared it to the one in the car I traded in against the 1500 and when it says "you have arrived at your destination", I'm sitting right in front of the house, business, or whatever. It has taken me on routes that initially I thought might be out of the way...but ended up being a direct and less circuitous route than I had been used to taking....so it taught me something. I haven't had it on any long trips, so I can't comment on how well it does for other than trips of less than 30 miles, or if it would route excessively unnecessary miles in remote areas. Given the performance so far, I can't see logically how it would not be accurate regardless of the distances. Only in new housing areas or new freeway bypasses etc would you have a problem until the upgrades came out. What I DON"T like is the screen setup. It seem unnecessarily cluttered when using the many features it can provide.

I'd take it back to the dealership. It sounds like it's not picking up enough satellites to triangulate properly. Is it the Garmin or another manufacturer? You can also look at the operator's manual and bring up what version and year your software is. If you're under warranty, have the dealer re-load the Nav software.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also depends which one you have. As mentioned, there are two models. The 430N (Garmin) and the 730N. From what I've gathered on other posts, the 730N can be very inaccurate. Do a forum search for 730N to find more on its navigation capabilities, or rather lack thereof. By most accounts, the 430N is very accurate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can't answer for anything but the 430N Garmins Nav system and from day 1 its been dead on. I would def. take it back to the dealer, it has to be an issue with the GPS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, everyone, for the replies. i do believe it's the 730N. The problem is that it isn't picking up any satellites. :p I'm taking it back to the dealer this weekend and hopefully they can sort it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for the replies. i do believe it's the 730N. The problem is that it isn't picking up any satellites. :p I'm taking it back to the dealer this weekend and hopefully they can sort it out.
Hi there, I just bought a Ram 1500 with the 730N and the nav is quite terrible. When I'm on a straight Highway for 30 miles, it keeps recalibrating itself saying that I'm off course. Did you learn anything from the dealer? Software, hardware?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
The 730 will try to guess your location if it loses satellites, its uses steering angle and the speedometer to figure where you should be. Some say there is also a gyro in there to help figure your position when you lose satellites.

Its very possibly the antenna isnt working or the receiver failed and its just guessing where you are. I have had a couple 730s and they are dead on the money, I dont think you can check the satellites on the 730 but you can on the Garmin.

I have a Garmin 765 I use sometimes, its similar to the 430 radio garmin, and when I'm in the mountains it will lose the sats and I can be many miles off track until it locks on a few, but it will get back on track as soon as the sats are found.

·
Banned
437 Posts
My 430N has been dead nuts on since day one. Works even better than the nav on my Android phone, which is also pretty good. Some of you are a bit confused, though. Accuracy is the ability to track your nav location within feet of your actual location. In other words, telling you you're on one street when you're actually on a street blocks or miles away would be inaccurate. Streets missing is a question of the map database being out of date and has nothing to do with accuracy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have seen this also but found that if you shutoff the truck and wait a moment then startup again you will get the activating Nav screen and all is well. I have a lockpick installed in the 730n RHR

Charlie

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I have to wonder if you have to set your Home Address into the NAV for it to know where you are

For a long time mine had my Home address as being in another State, maybe by default.
I have had better readings since i corrected it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts