DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went a bought a 2021 Dodge Ram last August (1500 Midnight Edition).
Love the truck, its actually my second one I had a 2014 a few year back and loved it too.
My truck is less then a year old and has 26000 kilometers / 16000 miles. I only drive around town and country highways, no towing, and absolutely baby the truck.
Was up north on a fishing trip a few days ago. Driving home after about 2 hours driving engine light comes on and truck is stuck in mid-to-high gear and won't shift (estimated 5th or 6th but now reading about limp mode must have been 4th). Was getting close to subury by this point so drove another half hour easy driving and pulled into the local mcdonals. Got a coffee and when truck cooled down tried it again and still had engine light but would shift again. Drove to the subdury dealer and they checked the code and said transmission problem. I had to drive 3.5 hour south to get home and they said okay to drive home since shifting again but take it easy which I did and booked for local dealer tomorrow.
I've never had a new truck with transmission problems, and this is very scary. I have kids and it was not at all safe stuck at a stop light in 4th gear and not able to drive off more then a walking pace and almost got rear ended by a semi. Can barely afford the vehicle and now will always have to worry about my kids safety in the truck?? This is insane!!!

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
2,343 Posts
4th and 5th Gens with the revised ZF 8hp75 have had recalls for TCM modules due to the supply chain for electronics. Should all be covered under warranty, my FIL was left stranded when his went limp on a road trip.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
992 Posts
Love the truck, its actually my second one I had a 2014 a few year back and loved it too.
My truck is less then a year old and has 26000 kilometers / 16000 miles. I only drive around town and country highways, no towing, and absolutely baby the truck.
Was up north on a fishing trip a few days ago. Driving home after about 2 hours driving engine light comes on and truck is stuck in mid-to-high gear and won't shift (estimated 5th or 6th but now reading about limp mode must have been 4th). Was getting close to subury by this point so drove another half hour easy driving and pulled into the local mcdonals. Got a coffee and when truck cooled down tried it again and still had engine light but would shift again. Drove to the subdury dealer and they checked the code and said transmission problem. I had to drive 3.5 hour south to get home and they said okay to drive home since shifting again but take it easy which I did and booked for local dealer tomorrow.
I've never had a new truck with transmission problems, and this is very scary. I have kids and it was not at all safe stuck at a stop light in 4th gear and not able to drive off more then a walking pace and almost got rear ended by a semi. Can barely afford the vehicle and now will always have to worry about my kids safety in the truck?? This is insane!!!
Bad time to buy a new vehicle, the shortage for everything has caused quality issues with everything and every brand of vehicles. At least you're under warranty. Even Hyundai is being forced to replace engines in a few thousand vehicles right now for 2021 models. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, dealer says won't touch it since the engine light went away.
I asked what about the fact that we almost got killed, and she said sorry try you're best until it happens again and it has to go in while engine light on. I said what about the stored codes??????
She said it reads P076F-00 "shift incorrect ratio"

I asked her if something dangerous happens again on the road when I have my kids and stuck in limp mode she said too bad until happening again.
What a big help! This is what you get with a brand new dodge folks!!! I've bought 4 vehicles new in the past 7 years from Chrysler and this is what you get as a loyal customer. Had only 1 warranty claim over those 4 vehicles/7years and now something very unsafe happening and being told literally too bad. What a joke.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
992 Posts
Well, dealer says won't touch it since the engine light went away.
I asked what about the fact that we almost got killed, and she said sorry try you're best until it happens again and it has to go in while engine light on. I said what about the stored codes??????
She said it reads P076F-00 "shift incorrect ratio"

I asked her if something dangerous happens again on the road when I have my kids and stuck in limp mode she said too bad until happening again.
What a big help! This is what you get with a brand new dodge folks!!! I've bought 4 vehicles new in the past 7 years from Chrysler and this is what you get as a loyal customer. Had only 1 warranty claim over those 4 vehicles/7years and now something very unsafe happening and being told literally too bad. What a joke.
Go to a different dealer. That one obviously has no idea what they're doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018 power wagon with 46000 babied miles this is suppose to be a heavy duty truck right well tranny made weird noises had to have it flatbeded from work didn’t want to take a chance the Ram dealer said they had to Rebuild the tranny so that took one month got it back was going into reverse late right off the bat then 2 weeks later going to my buddys cabin started slipping had to limp it off the thruway then wouldn’t come out of first gear so waited 4 hours to have it flatbeded again on Memorial Day now I’ve been waiting over 3 months for a OEM tranny and still waiting I have a case manager in Detroit but he emails me and keeps saying no ETA yet this is ridiculous a top of the line truck and Ram treats it like its just another problem they seem not to really care that’s what Im getting out of it very very dissapointed in Ram customer care is this what happens when things for their customers go bad I know there’s a shortage on parts etc but if they’re still producing these trucks which they are why cant they get me one of those transmissions after that I heard crickets

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have a 2018 power wagon with 46000 babied miles this is suppose to be a heavy duty truck right well tranny made weird noises had to have it flatbeded from work didn’t want to take a chance the Ram dealer said they had to Rebuild the tranny so that took one month got it back was going into reverse late right off the bat then 2 weeks later going to my buddys cabin started slipping had to limp it off the thruway then wouldn’t come out of first gear so waited 4 hours to have it flatbeded again on Memorial Day now I’ve been waiting over 3 months for a OEM tranny and still waiting I have a case manager in Detroit but he emails me and keeps saying no ETA yet this is ridiculous a top of the line truck and Ram treats it like its just another problem they seem not to really care that’s what Im getting out of it very very dissapointed in Ram customer care is this what happens when things for their customers go bad I know there’s a shortage on parts etc but if they’re still producing these trucks which they are why cant they get me one of those transmissions after that I heard crickets
There should be plenty of almost new ones from another 2018 salvage somewhere...you know they won't throw in a brand new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I called a second dealer that is kind of close to us, got a similar story that unless light is on they won't be looking at it. So guess I'm waiting until I get stuck again, well hopefully not but in the back of me head I know it wasn't magic that caused the failure (moisture in the electronics, low tranny fluid, bad solenoids or valve body, and the list goes on since these transmissions sound like have a long list of common failures). Could it be they are having enough failures and a huge shortage on parts they knowingly are turning away legitimate customer warranty claims even if putting drivers in a very un-safe situation when the transmissions go limp on the roads?

Also while waiting at service to get my truck back after they did nothing, I over heard the other service advisors on the phones trying to convince customers if they are okay with "un-warrantied" repair work then they can go get parts from napa or canadian tire to replace bearings/ball joints/tie rods because mopar parts are so far back ordered. That's insane!! I bought a brand new truck because I have kids, and even though can barely afford this thing we figured can rely on the truck because brand new and no chance of it being unsafe for our kids or leave us stranded, also no need for repairs because new right? No we were so wrong, and would have been better off with our older but for the most part trouble free vehicles. As the fella mentioned earlier in this thread, definitely not a good time to have bought a new Chrysler they are definitely have some big issues both manufacturing/quality control and supply chain issues.

2018PWChris, that is a really tough situation you're in and I really hope they can help you and you don't have to keep waiting. Wish you best of luck.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hey there,

We are terribly to sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your truck. We see that you are located in Canada. We would recommend reaching out to Ram Customer Cares in Canada. They can be reached on Facebook via direct messaging here: Ram Trucks Canada or by phone at 1-800-465-2001.

Callie
Ram Cares

·
Registered
6 Posts
There should be plenty of almost new ones from another 2018 salvage somewhere...you know they won't throw in a brand new one.
Yes they will I have a case manager in Michigan and I told him I want to inspect tranny in crate when it comes in I never told you I gave the dealer a chance to rebuild my tranny the first time it failed so they had my truck for a month and gave me a service receipt with all new parts that were rebuilt and reinstalled then literally 2 weeks later driving to my buddys cabin the so called rebuilt transmission failed again so obviously they said they rebuilt it and the service receipt said they rebuilt it but that was a bold face lie so now I have to see new transmission before they install it and dealer and my case manager agreed I will be looking for anything because lie to me once shame on you lie to me twice shame on me

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yes they will I have a case manager in Michigan and I told him I want to inspect tranny in crate when it comes in I never told you I gave the dealer a chance to rebuild my tranny the first time it failed so they had my truck for a month and gave me a service receipt with all new parts that were rebuilt and reinstalled then literally 2 weeks later driving to my buddys cabin the so called rebuilt transmission failed again so obviously they said they rebuilt it and the service receipt said they rebuilt it but that was a bold face lie so now I have to see new transmission before they install it and dealer and my case manager agreed I will be looking for anything because lie to me once shame on you lie to me twice shame on me
Ah ok, yea thats a good point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts