DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ram 1500 classic, 5.7L, 8spd auto

Had a connection in a hose pop open and dump fluids out in the middle of nowhere. I was able to secure it again, but I'm not sure what fluid it spilled. It looked to me like engine oil, but my oil level seems fine. (I did just have it changed a week ago, so there's a chance they over filled it, allowing for me to dump some and still read good levels.) I know transmission fluid is usually red, but I don't know what they use in these "sealed" units. The truck is deep into the hills, so I'm trying to figure out if it's just oil I could top off or if it's the transmission fluid, which is going to be a pain to deal with where the truck is.

If I can identify the hose before I head back out tomorrow, I can tell if I can just run out there with a quart of oil or if I need to get it towed.
Camera is sitting right over the passenger side headlight.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,022 Posts
Ram 1500 classic, 5.7L, 8spd auto

Had a connection in a hose pop open and dump fluids out in the middle of nowhere. I was able to secure it again, but I'm not sure what fluid it spilled. It looked to me like engine oil, but my oil level seems fine. (I did just have it changed a week ago, so there's a chance they over filled it, allowing for me to dump some and still read good levels.) I know transmission fluid is usually red, but I don't know what they use in these "sealed" units. The truck is deep into the hills, so I'm trying to figure out if it's just oil I could top off or if it's the transmission fluid, which is going to be a pain to deal with where the truck is.

If I can identify the hose before I head back out tomorrow, I can tell if I can just run out there with a quart of oil or if I need to get it towed.
Camera is sitting right over the passenger side headlight.
View attachment 144916

Thanks.
Don't remember seeing that hose on my truck. Is it metal? I doubt that it can be transmission fluid since that's a sealed unit. Almost looks like a return line for the Radiator or even the A/C. Have you started it up yet or tried driving? Generally If it looks like engine oil and smells like it. .it probably is but I can't say for sure since I'm not there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Don't remember seeing that hose on my truck. Is it metal? I doubt that it can be transmission fluid since that's a sealed unit. Almost looks like a return line for the Radiator or even the A/C. Have you started it up yet or tried driving? Generally If it looks like engine oil and smells like it. .it probably is but I can't say for sure since I'm not there.
When it blew, my truck disengaged the gears immediately and all power was gone. I could start it just fine, before and after I managed to reconnect that line. It wouldn't shift into anything but park. It would just flash the gear indicator, then tell me to shift back to park and try again. Engine sounded fine, and I have oil pressure. I manged to get the transfer case to shift into neutral, and that's how I rolled it back down the hill backwards.

The line is metal. I'm mostly concerned that it's transmission fluid, happens to not be red for some reason, and I definitely shouldn't drive it. My plan was to go back out there and see if I can't get the code to clear by disconnecting the battery. Then I could start it back up, and see if something throws a code again. If it's just oil, I know my levels are fine, could even bring a quart out with me to be safe, and I could drive it to the shop, if it didn't throw the code again. I think that's all a very bad idea if it's transmission fluid though, which is why I'm trying to identify it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
From your description of what happened it sounds like a transmission cooler line. The 8 speed trans takes specific fluid. Also, there is a specific procedure to follow to refill the trans but not over fill. I don't recall the details so look it up. I expect that enough fluid was pumped out that there isn't enough left in the trans to operate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From your description of what happened it sounds like a transmission cooler line. The 8 speed trans takes specific fluid. Also, there is a specific procedure to follow to refill the trans but not over fill. I don't recall the details so look it up. I expect that enough fluid was pumped out that there isn't enough left in the trans to operate it.
That's what I've been inclined to think after everything I've managed to find, despite what the fluid looks like to me. Unfortunately, it's out slightly inclined on gravel and dirt so refilling the trans isn't a job I'm going to undertake there. I'm going to have to guide a tow truck out there, get that transfer case back into neutral, and see if we can't get the truck into a shop today.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,022 Posts
Yea Tom beat me to it...I looked it up and best I found was Transmission cooling line

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea Tom beat me to it...I looked it up and best I found was Transmission cooling line
Thanks. I'm definitely getting a flat bed out there. I was just looking up all the emergency towing procedures in the manual, so I don't mess anything else up. I'm surprised I had so much trouble getting a concrete ID on that line, looking through manuals and diagrams, but I figured I just needed to find a big group of RAM owners who know a lot more than me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When it blew, my truck disengaged the gears immediately and all power was gone. I could start it just fine, before and after I managed to reconnect that line. It wouldn't shift into anything but park. It would just flash the gear indicator, then tell me to shift back to park and try again. Engine sounded fine, and I have oil pressure. I manged to get the transfer case to shift into neutral, and that's how I rolled it back down the hill backwards.

The line is metal. I'm mostly concerned that it's transmission fluid, happens to not be red for some reason, and I definitely shouldn't drive it. My plan was to go back out there and see if I can't get the code to clear by disconnecting the battery. Then I could start it back up, and see if something throws a code again. If it's just oil, I know my levels are fine, could even bring a quart out with me to be safe, and I could drive it to the shop, if it didn't throw the code again. I think that's all a very bad idea if it's transmission fluid though, which is why I'm trying to identify it.
Some dodge 1500,trannys use gear oil. It's identified at rear of transmission whether atf or gear oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts