DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a 96 2500 V10 and know very little about these trucks. What should I look for, any persistant problem areas, what is the life expectancy/reliability of the engine/transmission and what kind of fuel mileage can I expect.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had several customers who had these as work trucks back in the day.. around 100K the tranny would go.. but remember I'm talking work trucks as in used everyday to go out to job sites nd eliver building material and 9 times out of 10 truck was overloaded. Engine / no worries

·
Registered
6 Posts
V-10

Rebuilt by tranny at 135K, average is 10 MPG with a 3500 automatic. Goes as low as 8 around town, gets better on the highway. I've got a K&N filter in it otherwise is stock 10500# duel tire 2x4 set up. If I run a steady 55 on the highway it gets 12 to 13, at 65 it gets about 11 to 12 at 75 it runs pretty much 9 to 10 with an airdyne fifth wheel tailgate. I am running oversize tires 245 75 R 16 verses the standard 210 tires, I have commercial grade to help with the sidewall flex and I keep them at 70 psi.
Have fun if you get one, not much will out pull you as I have a twin axle trailer and I've loaded as much as 5000+ in the bed of gravel (that pretty much says flat springs) with the trailer loaded with equipment and it gets right up to speed without much delay and it will hold it on the average freeway without an issue.:smileup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ill tell you man i was talking with another guy a few weeks ago bout his 97 ram which was a v10 and that truck had 280,000 miles on it and he said he has never once had to replace anything severe on it. The transmission still ram very strong and the truck is still very durable. The guy races and he will tow a fifth wheel and his car with it and still be running strong. He had to replace a few things on it like the heater core and some joints, but that was due to the fact he had a lift put on and didnt adjust them right. I truly believe that those trucks run very well and live long if you take care of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Other than the front end wear parts and the usual dodge rust these trucks are great..I love my v10. I have a 01 quadcab and not only does it burn tires like no tomorrow but it is a comfy ride. I have the towing and plowing package which includes stronger springs and a mild 2" lift and extra cooling ability. Buy a low mileage one if you can find one. I bought mine with 77,000 on it and now have 87,000 after one year....gas mileage is a bitch but if you want good gas mileage buy a pedal bike!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! I went to drive it yesterday and was quite impressed, lots of power, transmission shifted crisp and strong and the interior is pristine. Low mileage for the model (96,xxx). Only thing I noticed was the engine has a sort of strange sound and I don't want to call it a vibration but it feels a little different kind of reminds me of an old 5 cylinder inline engine of old. Nothing that would turn me away and I thing it is normal due to the extra length of the crank and 2 extra journels. Please keep the info coming if you have experience or any knowledge to these trucks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I love all three of mine in fact looking at buying another right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned a 2000 dodge 2500 v10 ext cab SLT shortbed 4x4 since i bought it brand new in dec of 1999. The front brakes go out pretty quick no matter what type of adjustments you make ...I had 4 trans that were installed under warranty ...they would last between 12,000 and 15,000 miles and would need a new trans. I extended my warranty to 5yrs 75,000 miles . After my truck had 78,000 miles and the trans went out a buddy of mine suggested I go with a heavy duty/performance trans which cost's about $3500.00 plus the labor to R&R the trans....That trans has lasted me till 2 days ago which was about 80,000 miles and I am now looking for some body that works on these in or around NW Indiana ....Other than those 2 problems I have loved the truck . The dash has started cracking bad about 4 yrs ago ....The rust under the doors on the 2nd gens are pretty bad ...I have been looking to find a couple doors for mine and they are very hard to find that arent already rusting...You gotta take the good with the bad and overall I really liked this truck...good luck

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know what it is on these trucks if your trans is good they seam to last forever. But as soon as one is rebuilt it won't last same thing happened with my work car 7 transmissions in 36,000 miles.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If I ever had to replace my transmission I would change it to a manual in a heartbeat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts