DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably gonna have to buy a new engine for my 2002 Ram 1500 Quad cab with the 4.7. What would be the best brand to get for reliability and gas mileage and power. I also don't want to change any electronic controls either, so I would need something to fit right in. What do my fellow RamForumz friends believe would be the best? I just want to get a jump on things in case i can't get the one i have fixed.

E

·
0 Posts
Then get the MOPAR parts 4.7 long block. You'll pull out your old engine, swap over the intake, waterpump, injectors, etc...to the new one and put it in the truck. No changes needed for the PCM, wiring harness, etc...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havent found out my problem yet, buy I am just trying to stay ahead of the game. Plus if I can find an engine that offers more of my needs, I may spend the money (if its comparable to getting my old one fixed) to buying a new, mre powerful and reliable one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out the heads were warped and one was cracked. I got and estimate of 4,000 to repalce the heads. I decided to just repalce the engine. I went with a barnette remanufactured engine. They are supposed to have re-engineered heads to help with the sludge build-up problem. I am really looking forward to getting it in. Has anybody heard of these engines? If not, I will keep everybody informed on their performance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I haven't heard of them, how is it treating you so far? My 4.7 worries me everyday because of the common sludge problem in the crappy 4.7 magnum engine...I wouldn't be surprised if it was engineered to have fatal sludge problems - planned obsolescence.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't heard of them, how is it treating you so far? My 4.7 worries me everyday because of the common sludge problem in the crappy 4.7 magnum engine...I wouldn't be surprised if it was engineered to have fatal sludge problems - planned obsolescence.
You can pull your valve covers off to check for sludge build up.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
I went with a barnette remanufactured engine. They are supposed to have re-engineered heads to help with the sludge build-up problem. I am really looking forward to getting it in. Has anybody heard of these engines? If not, I will keep everybody informed on their performance.
I haven't heard of them neither . Let us know how it works out for ya .

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,004 Posts
I haven't heard of them, either, but good luck with it and keep us posted! :)

- Cajun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts