DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm on the market for a Ram truck. My mind was set on a HEMI, because I LOVED the power when I test drove a BigHorn with a Hemi last summer. But today I test drove 2018 Laramine with 3.0-Liter V6 EcoDiesel Engine, and it seems to have enough power BUT i'm worried it is an under-powered motor for the vehicle size.

I'm hoping that someone who actually has this truck (3.0-Liter V6 EcoDiesel), to give me an honest opinion about what they think about this engine. Is it powerful enough? Do you wish you bought a gas engine? Any Pros and Cons please? Other advice?

Just to give you an idea, I am not in construction, just need a VERY comfy ride for family activities. Here is how I will use the truck:
-Looong road trips with the family.
-Camping trips
-Skiing trips
-We "might" get a tear-drop camper. I'm guessing that's enough of a truck to pull it.

Thanks you in advance

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The Hemi will outwork the EcoDiesel in every way; where the 3.0 shines is in fuel mileage. It will get similar mileage towing to an unloaded Hemi.

That said, the diesel also has more torque. It won't feel as fast as a Hemi but its perfectly capable of doing everything its rated for

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I don't have an Eco, but some comments that may be helpful are listed below. You may have this info already, but in case you don't:

The ED has more torque than the hemi as Thunderhorse mentioned, but it's only 10lb (420 vs 410). It has a significant disadvantage in HP (240 vs 395). Obviously the hp/tq curves will be very different between the two. The hemi and Eco both use the same trans (8HP70).

You will have 210# less payload with the Eco than the hemi, so if you have a family to take camping, you may find that the lower payload on an already low-payload truck can be a limiting factor. If the camper is small, you'll probably be okay, but campers tend to grow.

The Eco is a $4320 option over the hemi. If you decide for the Eco, get the 3.92 gears and it'll keep you in the 9,000# towing capacity range. Is the upcharge and DEF woth the economy advantage? It depends on diesel fuel costs near you. Around here diesel is typically 30-50 cents more per gallon than 87 octane.

The reviews I read / watched show that the hemi will tow heavier loads easier and faster, but, at higher RPM's and obviously burning more fuel. The smaller diesels are, as the name states (Ecodiesel) for economy, but they have a reasonable towing / payload capacity.

Find your ideal camper that you're considering, find the tongue weight, and see if the truck will work within the payload capacity; remember payload includes passengers and cargo not stored in the camper.

Here's some basic info to consider from C&D:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-ram-1500-in-depth-model-review-2018-ram-1500-engine-and-transmission-review-car-and-driver-page-2

Here's some basic towing info; on the Laramie you're probably looking at 200-300# less payload than stated on the charts (it says 2017, but it's the same for 2018):
https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2017_ram_1500_towing_charts.pdf

·
Registered
118 Posts
Payload can be your biggest challenge with a family and camper in a 1500. Here is a post with my payload issues on a 1500 CC Big Horn.

https://www.ramforumz.com/#/topics/251017

Now, your talking about a tear drop trailer which has a lot less weight, so a 1500 may be ok depending on the amount of gear, weight of passengers, and projected growth. However, that extra few hundred pounds you get with the Hemi over the diesel might make a difference.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
Looks as though you've already gotten some good info here. The only thing I will add is that if you loved the drive and performance of the Hemi, you should definitely get it. Back when I bought my first Ram in 2015, I just knew I was going to get the Pentastar V6. It got a few mpg's better than the Hemi, had way more horse power and torque than the old truck I was trading in at the time, seemed to be a proven and reliable engine and I don't tow anything. Then I test drove the Hemi and it all went down the drain. I also loved the ride and performance, and let me tell you, 3 years later it still puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up and go for a drive. I'll gladly sacrifice a few mpg's for that feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to knock the ecodiesel. Many here have that engine and love it just the same. The only other thing I'll mention is the cost of diesel vs. gasoline. It's fairly more expensive for diesel around where I live.

Good luck with whichever you decide. You really can't go wrong with either choice. Both trucks will be great. It's all about getting exactly what you want. :smileup:

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Another thing to consider if you plan to keep this truck for a long time; a lifetime MaxCare warranty is available on the hemi trucks but not the Eco.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I actually own an Ecodiesel and I love this little motor. My loaded Longhorn Crew CAB with sunroof, backflip etc is probably one of the heaviest 1500's as such my available payload is around 950#. That is enough for my purposes and looks like for your too - since you plan to use the truck like a big car. Even with the teardrop you MIGHT buy it should be enough.

I don't feel my truck is underpowered, it is not a race truck, but my fast and furious days are behind me especially with speed cameras etc. The truck moves when you need it to. You have test driven it so you should determine if you like the way it drives or not. Drive it slow, drive it fast, load it up - test it out to see if you like/dislike it. Look at the door jamb stickers of the trucks you are interested in to see the actual payload.

For the most part I drive my truck like a school bus which is to say relatively responsibly. I love the purr of the engine and the mileage - current 22mpg combined.

Good Luck with your decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2017 Laramie CC 4x4 Ecod that I got 5 months ago as a daily driver and to pull my travel trailer.
Perfect truck as long as you are not hung up on accelerating like you are in a sports car. Comfort is great, fuel milage is awesome and I just returned from a 2 week camping trip pulling my 27 ft, 8000 lb TT (loaded) from PA to SC to KY and back to PA with no issues.
Would buy this truck again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I also have 2017 Laramie EcoDiesel, 3.55 gears. Prior to that I had several Hemi trucks so I am familiar with their performance...….the Hemi is definitely fast. With that said, I am very happy with my current truck, it is GDE tuned and I can easily break the tires loose when taking off )I did that only once because I wanted to see how it accelerates).

What is more important to me then 0-60 time is the way the engine develops torque, it hardly ever downshifts into a lower gear while cruising on the Interstate and going up a hill. We have a pretty steep hill on I-44 where I live and the transmission will shift from 8 to 7 with the cruise et at 71.

I would buy another EcoDiesel in a heartbeat.

Last, I guess the OP never came back......one post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts