DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm new to the forum and actually own a Silverado right now and have made the decision to go to a Ram... I have found a couple 2500 that I'm interested in and trying to decide between the 6.7 or 6.4.

First off I do not tow much occasionally a bass boat or small stuff so this is not a towibef debate, simply weighing the options bc I have wanted a diesel for a while bc of the longevity , gas mileage , etc and to be honest I think they are bada$$ and I like em. The two main trucks I have been eyeing is a 2015 6.4 with 35k miles and a 2012 6.7 Cummins with 89k miles for the same price.

I have heard about the maintenance costs but I have many fiends and family with them that have spent less on maintenance than I have really it seems so just looking for some advice on the two options. If I get the Cummins I will def be deleting it and tuning so milesge should be a little better. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Mileage will be better on the Cummins for sure. Maintenance costs will be high but remember the 6.4L requires full synthetic oil.

As far as towing capability, both will obviously do just fine with the loads you described. If you were looking to tow a 12k - 14k fifth wheel all the time, I'd strongly suggest the Cummins.

I've not found anything that I do with my truck that the 6.4L won't handle. I have added a few mods to improve performance and thought I was doing pretty good in the power department...until I drove my neighbor's 6.7L with a delete, programmer and cold air intake. OMFG....it's a beast.

If you are after big power, go with the 6.7L. I'm pretty sure if I wanted to match my neighbor's truck in the power area, I'll have to supercharge the 6.4L :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
They are pretty different animals, depends on things like; your pocket book, mission, and personal preference. Decide what's important to you and compare each power plant to the items on your list. Both are great power plants with differing advantages. Example: Towing 6.7L :smileup:, Off Road 6.4L :smileup:
It doesn't mean the other motor isn't up to the task, it's just that one holds an advantage over the other.

·
Registered
12 2500 Cummins, 92 W150 5.2
227 Posts
I would go with the diesel but I'm biased. You can run shell rotella and a mopar filter if you want adequate protection without spending a lot on oil changes. The biggest issues that arise with diesels (as they say, I havent experienced any myself) is emissions related. Tranmissions are a complaint with a few but I think thats more a driving style issue. If you can delete then I think you've got a solid answer. The rest of the chassis are the same so other maintenance would be also. I dont know how much aftermarket support their is for the 6.4 hemi but I would imagine you can get tuning and go fast parts. The cummins has tons of aftermarket support as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies keep em coming...well like I said I am deciding on a couple that are essentially the same price the diesel has more miles (89k) compared to the 6.4 with 35k but how many miles can I realistically expect to get out of the 6.7? I plan on keeping this one for a long time and like I said the diff in diesel and gas here is only about 20cents right now and I guess I Ann just asking about maintenance bc most posts I have read say it's more but the ppl I know that have then have not spent anymore than I do on maintenance, really have just wanted a diesel and making sure I'm not making a bad decision or if I should just go with the gasser, love the sound of that diesel lol

·
Registered
12 2500 Cummins, 92 W150 5.2
227 Posts
I get 16.5-17 combined highway and stop and go through NJ which is a mad house. This is after full deletes. I got about 14.5 before deletes. I can do better if the road conditions permitted and I didnt drive at 75mph. There are guys with 200,000+ on their 6.7's. I'm sure the 6.4 is a good motor and I'm not trying to trash it but I dont think it will touch the longevity of the Cummins assuming maintenance schedules are kept up to date.

Go with the diesel!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
FCA put the 6.4 Hemi engines through the same 300,000 mile endurance testing they put the Cummins engines through during the testing when they designed it so the 6.4 Hemi is going to be a long life engine.

Do you do a lot of short trips? If so the 6.4 Hemi will be the better choice. I ended up getting rid of my 2005 Ram 3500 dually 5.9 Cummins because I was not able to get it up to operating temp long enough on the drive I had. Short trips can be hard on diesel engines if you can't get them up to operating temp and keep them there for a while to burn off condensation that happens at start up and during warm up.

You clearly don't need the power of the Cummins and the 6.4 Hemi is a very stout engine power wise. If it was me I would go with the simplicity of the gas engine over the diesel. The diesel already has 89,000 miles on it so there will be some items that will likely need to be replaced far sooner than the 35,000 mile 6.4 Hemi will.

Do you know the history of each truck? Again if it were me I would take the 2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi with only 35,000 miles on it.

One other thing is you will get the updated coil spring suspension with the 2015 2500 6.4 Hemi truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea to be honest those are great points and I don't wanna spend what I would need to on a lower mileage diesel and I drive about 50-60 miles all highway to work so in that I would be fine and I drive hard, but are there things to do to the hemi to get better mileage??

I guess I just don't know enough about diesel maintenance schedules really either but I do feel better knowing that testing , I know my needs are saying gasser but want the diesel lol

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yea to be honest those are great points and I don't wanna spend what I would need to on a lower mileage diesel and I drive about 50-60 miles all highway to work so in that I would be fine and I drive hard, but are there things to do to the hemi to get better mileage??

I guess I just don't know enough about diesel maintenance schedules really either but I do feel better knowing that testing , I know my needs are saying gasser but want the diesel lol
At least you'll get the truck warm. As for maintenance cost, you're looking at 3 Gallons of oil vs ~1.5.

The 6.4 uses synthetic from the factory, I've done Rotella and Castrol, which I'm currently waiting on the sample results for this week. So with a diesel you're looking at about twice as much for an oil change with about 2k more on the interval for the extra oil (if you go by the books). A buddy of my dad's said that the 100k tune up for his diesels seemed to be $1500-3K vs $300-500 for his gas burners. After the last one he went back to gas since he didn't rely on the diesel to make a living.

FWIW, YMMV, Etc

Luke

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts

You'll end up with buyer's remorse if you don't get the diesel by the sounds of it. I went from a '13 bighorn hemi to an '09 with the cummins, it had 120k on it, it was a one owner truck, nice if you can get the history on it, at 89k that engine is hardly broken in and if your deleting you'll never regret it. If your uncertain then request an oil sample. It's the tuning that totally transforms these trucks and if you drive it civilly you'll pull off excellent mileage. My best mileage hand calculated was 23.5 mpg on about a 300 mile trip, that's in US gallons in a megacab one ton.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
With the modern emissions equipment since 2007.5 the reliability advantage of diesel has been mitigated. The Cummins will still likely go a million miles, but the Hemi is a long running engine too that should easily go over 400,000 miles.

If you take a lot of short trips or do a lot of city driving I would not get a diesel. Personally if/when I get an HD it would/will be a 6.4L

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I understand the want for a diesel as they can be a blast and can make a ton of power, just remember that as you add more power you put more strain on the rest of the drive train with the transmission being the weakest link.

The transmission can be taken care of by a couple of shops who know how to beef them up but that is another $5,000 dollars and you still can break those transmissions if you are not careful.

Remember that a diesel engine is a big open air pump and it regulates the fuel to control it. Here are a couple of videos showing runaway diesel engines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmIfjmvXp0I

To drive home the point here is a 2015 GMC pick up that had a runaway diesel engine:

http://www.powernationtv.com/post/2015-gmc-duramax-diesel-runaway-engine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I think so too, I have driven the Cummins and need to go test the 6.4 to give it a chance , are there any mods that would help the mileage on the 6.4...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are pretty wild videos, not really worried about that happening lol but didn't even know it was possible . Think I'm going to drive the 6.4 tomorrow and see how it goes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But does anyone know of more or if tuning would help the gas mileage , problem is you see so many diff numbers...brother has the 6.7 so I know what he's getting with delete and all but the 6.4 mpg I see are all over the place

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts

I know it's not on the table in this particular conversation but...

It almost sounds as it the 5.7 Hemi would be the magic bullet here.
:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I thought about the 5.7 but I'm def wanting a 2500 and just feel like the mileage would even be worse on those, I could be way off but just makes sense smaller engine heavier body, correct me if I'm wrong though !

·
Registered
256 Posts
When people ask me why I didn't get a diesel instead of the 6.4L, my response is that it was $9,000 more. Might offset the mpg cost in the long run, but I haven't kept a vehicle for a long run in 20 years. I'm sure the diesel would be fun, but for me and my needs it wasn't worth the price.

And I'd bet you'll think the 5.7L sluggish, compared to a 6.4L or a 1500 (for obvious reasons). MPGs? Who knows, but I don't think the 5.7L has the MDS like the 6.4L.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
Well I thought about the 5.7 but I'm def wanting a 2500 and just feel like the mileage would even be worse on those, I could be way off but just makes sense smaller engine heavier body, correct me if I'm wrong though !
the point of the 6.4 hemi was yo get better mpg than the 5.7.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts