DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Looks like I'm not the first one to post about fixing up Dad's old truck. I inherited a bone stock 1984 W-150 with 60K miles on it. 318 2bl carb, automatic. It's a basic Prospector model, so no creature comforts (feels like I'm riding in a Tuna can compared to my '86 F-150 XLT Lariet). I don't have a lot of money to spend on aftermarket mods, but did spring for a complete tune-up to guage it's mechanical soundness to see if it's worth putting anything into it. Compression test came back good, timing chain was OK. He set the timing to 9' adv. to help my acceleration which was totally lame after my last smog fix (timing was way too advanced).

I see the HP rating for my year/engine are pretty awful...my questions specifically are what can I do carb and ignition wise to help out power, without spending a lot on a 4 barrel carb/manifold setup, and being as I just had all the ignition wires replaced, is there anything easy to do on the ignition side?
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your on the right track, air fuel and ignition mods are easiest and cheapest way to make a bit more power. A high power ignition system and good plugs do help out, change the fuel filter, make sure timing is set and a nice free flowing air filter will help, a better flowing muffler will also help. Thats about all the cheaper things that will help out your performance a bit.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Post some pics man! I like seeing those trucks! Headers are not very expensive for these motors/trucks and intake 4barrell carb will put some pep into it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts