DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I have a 98 dodge ram sport 1500 4x4 with the 5.2 318..... First i have a rough idle issue, but i think i fixed that... Cause my valve cover with leaking so i changed then an it didnt seem to rough idle after i changed it.... If it still rough idles what else can i do.... i have changed the spark plugs an wires, an cap...... Could the have the wrong wire hooked to cap, if so where can i get a picture of it...

Another problem i have is when im at a stop sign in drive, i go an hit the gas to go an it act sluggish, untill i let my foot an tap it an it comes out of it.. needless to say it doesnt happen every time...

Any kind of help would be great, id like to do it myself its alot cheaper in labor cost>>>

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Here's some help, picture of how the plug wires should be connected.

The stumble/rough idle and hesitation could be due to the TPS(throttle position sensor), IAC(idle air control) valve, and a few other things. I'd start by taking the throttle body off, cleaning it very good, and cleaning the IAC. Reassemble and see how it does.

Also check for vacuum leaks.

Do you have any check engine lights on?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I don't know of one, I'm sure someone has one out there though. Look for lines that aren't connected to anything, cracked/dryrotted lines, etc. Replace any and all dryrotted or otherwise "bad" lines, they are cheap and easy. You can also spray something like starting fluid, wd40, etc. on the lines and if the engine revs it's a leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i fixed the idle issue at start up a few mins after i would start it.. not really sure how i did it but after i changed the valve cover gasket on the driver side that was leaking it seemed to fix that issue.... now the only issue to fix is when im sitting in drive an i try an take off an it acts slugish... any ideas...
where do i get seafoam at..
---

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
You check the vacuum lines? I'd bet it is a dirty IAC just off the top of my head. It can be a lot of things, but gotta start somewhere.

Seafoam is at auto parts stores. White can with red label usually. I'd pull the TB first and clean it up, clean the sensors, check the electrical connectors(put dialectric grease on them...also can be bought at auto parts stores), then put it all together (with a new gasket from auto parts store), put seafoam in the gas tank, and see how it runs then. All that will be pretty cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it doesnt do it all the time just everyonce in awhile, when ur sitting at a stop light an give it gas an sluggish, but let off the gas an it goes... werid.... what is the IAC never heard of it an wheres it located?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
IAC stands for Idle Air Control. There is an IAC valve, it's a little piece in the throttle body that regulates the amount of air for idle. The sometimes get gunked up and dirty and don't operate as good as they need to. If you unscrew it from the TB you can clean it up with some TB/carb cleaner or electronic parts cleaner. The seafoam could probably even be used to clean it.

I'm not very familiar with that engine so can't really say exactly where the IAC is located, but there are only a few sensors on the TB. TPS (throttle position sensor) which will be attached to the throttle blade, the IAC which will be somewhere on the TB or the intake manifold, and then you may have a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor on the intake manifold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so when i said it stop idling rough, well it didnt it this morning..i dont know if because it was cooler out then when i tired it the first time.. i dk... to make it come out of the rough idle i give alil gas an it comes out of it... any ideas on that.. im gonna have to get a manual, cause im not sure where all those senors are... but the idle issue is werid, started an ran fine when it was warmer out but this morning a few seconds into it being runnniing, it rough idles, give it alil gas an it came out of it.. any ideas?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Not trying to be a jerk but I've said it like 3 times now. Check for vacuum leaks, then clean the TB and sensors. That's the first step.

It may seem intimidating because you don't know where the sensors are and all that, but if you can turn a wrench and have common sense you could just dive into it and you'll be fine. It's very straightforward. If you know what the throttle body is then you just unbolt it from the intake manifold (have to also unbolt/detach the throttle cable, that also should be very easy and straight forward just by looking at it), and you'll have to unplug the electrical connectors that attach to the TB. Then once the TB is off, just unbolt the sensors (the only things that are bolted to the TB), and clean it all up, then reassemble everything. Disconnect the neg battery terminal while doing this just because you're working with electrical connections.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Other things that could be going on are dirty/clogged fuel filter, fuel pump going bad, bad spark plugs/wires/cap and rotor (although I think you said you changed these). Did you check the gap correctly on the plugs? Are the plug wires fully seated or "clicked" onto the plugs properly? There's a lot that it could be, but just start with the easy and cheap things to check first...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do u kbowe much on steering.. When I go down the road I have to hold the steering wheel to the left. I just put new hub assemblies on both sides bit didn fix it, what else could I do.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I second (or fourth or fifth as it may be) checking for vacuum leaks. Just because you can't see one doesn't mean you don't have one. With the engine idling, climb under there with either an UNLIT propane torch or a can of carb cleaner. Move the torch (or spray cleaner) around all the fuel-related gasket areas as well as all the hoses. If the idle goes up, that's where you have a leak.

As for the IAC, on the 318 see below:

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Just a clarification on Snoopy's diagram above ^.

The diagram is showing the back of the engine forward. IAC is in the rear, TPS is on the driver's side, MAP sensor is on the front.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts