DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm in the middle if a plenum change and I was wandering if there is anything should do while the intake is off. And on another note, how do you clean the old gasket off without it going in the ports. Keep on mind I'm a 20 year old kid trying to do this solely by what I get told be experienced mechanics. This is also only my second post and so idk what I'm really doing on here so I'm going to throw in a couple more questions. When I pulled the injectors the rubber around it was kinda broke up and falling apart. Will they be ok or do I need new ones? And I think I'm missing some vacuum lines does anybody have a diagram for all of them. Also the engine is very muddy on the outside how do i wash it and avoid getting sensors wet.Others than painted bumpers what's the difference in a sport and a non sport. Thanks guys for your help all the correct guidance is going to get ole yeller on the highway

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok so I'm in the middle if a plenum change and I was wandering if there is anything should do while the intake is off. And on another note, how do you clean the old gasket off without it going in the ports. Keep on mind I'm a 20 year old kid trying to do this solely by what I get told be experienced mechanics. This is also only my second post and so idk what I'm really doing on here so I'm going to throw in a couple more questions. When I pulled the injectors the rubber around it was kinda broke up and falling apart. Will they be ok or do I need new ones? And I think I'm missing some vacuum lines does anybody have a diagram for all of them. Also the engine is very muddy on the outside how do i wash it and avoid getting sensors wet.Others than painted bumpers what's the difference in a sport and a non sport. Thanks guys for your help all the correct guidance is going to get ole yeller on the highway
1. While you have the Intake off you might as well replace your distributor and rotor.
2. place some rags over the exposed valve train.(see pic) That will keep most of the chunks out. It's a good idea to clean up with a shop vac after you are done scraping.
3. you definitely need new injector o-rings
4. Get a haynes guide or equivalent. it'll have the vac diagram and save you time and money.
5. Wash carefully
6. I believe that the only difference was the sport model had a larger diameter exhaust. I don't know for sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Good Luck!

-Filth

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Stick rags, or paper towels into the intake runners and valvetrain. Buy a gasket-scraper tool. You will use it for the next 20 years. Permatetex also makes a Gasket-Remover that softens the old gaskets. X2 with Filty, clean and scrape with a shop-vac. Unless you remove it, some things are best left in place.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I'd change the oil pressure switch while the intake is off.

Sport/non Sport what I can think of is the exhaust size, and dual headlight bulbs as opposed to single, but that is a different issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts