DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to a full exhaust on my truck but the shop that installed the system for me is having a hard time getting the headers to seal properly and we are on the second set now and they are already leaking. Also should I be hearing more of the cam with headers? Thanks

·
Registered
917 Posts
I haven't installed my headers yet but I was told that mopar header gaskets are a must and to use copper sealant on both sides of the gasket. Other than that if they still aren't sealing I would question the trueness of header flange face. What kind of headers are you getting put on?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Same headers I'm putting in. Yea the copper gasket sealant/rtv I think permatex makes it. The copper I believe is the highest temp stuff.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Seriously? Seems odd but I guess possible.

And now that you mention it I can't find any info on an oem gasket either. But I can find plenty of aftermarket ones like felpro. Well maybe just stick with the JBA gasket and try the copper sealant.

Are your headers brand new?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would contact JBA directly. I have heard their mounting flanges warp after use if not regularly retorqued but brand new they should true.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the exact reason for the blowouts.....the shop that I had install everything failed to use all 6 fasteners on the drivers side because one of them looks hard to get to so they only used 5 leading to the center of the flange being very loose....guess this is why even when im short on time I should just wait and do things myself when it comes to the truck

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep! thats the plan for 7:30 monday! I'm really gonna rag them out for this one considering the first time it blew out they said it was installed correctly and made me pay or a new set of gaskets....gah! Should have checked it over right when I got it back...

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I dropped my truck off again and they claimed (even after getting yelled at and being shown pictures) that everything was fastened down correctly, then I get a call today with them saying the flanges were not true and they would have to get new headers..........this was probably because they never fastened them correctly in the first place. Should I even let them try again or is this the point where I just do it myself?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont think so, If they do charge well it cant be more than 25$ because of the sign they have posted as they never quoted me anything....

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well give it a shot I guess, saves you the effort but they better put all the bolts in lol and I would check the torque after if I was you

1 - 20 of 29 Posts