DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Reg Cab
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently bought a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7l Diesel 4x4 Reg Cab. Story goes, it was bought at auction, previous owner drove it home. Let the batteries die (with the security alarm set.) Now the truck is a manual door lock truck, I only received 2 keys with the truck, a ignition, and door lock key. The truck has the red light flashing on the dash, and will not crank or start. I’ve checked all the fuses under the hood, cleaned the tipm connections, left the batteries unhooked etc... Thinking the truck is locked out or something but not sure. Out of ideas, need a hand. Thanks all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve recently bought a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7l Diesel 4x4 Reg Cab. Story goes, it was bought at auction, previous owner drove it home. Let the batteries die (with the security alarm set.) Now the truck is a manual door lock truck, I only received 2 keys with the truck, a ignition, and door lock key. The truck has the red light flashing on the dash, and will not crank or start. I’ve checked all the fuses under the hood, cleaned the tipm connections, left the batteries unhooked etc... Thinking the truck is locked out or something but not sure. Out of ideas, need a hand. Thanks all.
CONT’D - While hooking up my snap on solus scanner, I can’t hook up to the ecm, I can hook up to some modules though (not sure if the security will do this.) Or I have a few issues.

·
Registered
2011 1500 Laramie 4x4 - SRT 392 swapped
65 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner lied to you. Bought the truck at auction with no keys, had a door key made locally and ordered a cheap fob on amazon for the ignition, then discovered that the ignition keys can only be programmed by a dealer. Take it to a dealer for diagnosis, and if they say the key isn't programmed to the truck be prepared to take a hit to the wallet to get an actual key made.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the previous owner lied to you. Bought the truck at auction with no keys, had a door key made locally and ordered a cheap fob on amazon for the ignition, then discovered that the ignition keys can only be programmed by a dealer. Take it to a dealer for diagnosis, and if they say the key isn't programmed to the truck be prepared to take a hit to the wallet to get an actual key made.
I guess it’s possible. Said he drove it home but maybe not, ok could take it to the dealer for diag, how much to get key made to this vin?

·
Registered
2011 1500 Laramie 4x4 - SRT 392 swapped
65 Posts
If I remember right when I had my spare key made it ran about $90. It's steep for a single key, but if it makes the difference whether you can drive the truck or not it's worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember right when I had my spare key made it ran about $90. It's steep for a single key, but if it makes the difference whether you can drive the truck or not it's worth it.
Yeah makes a big difference if its drivable or not lol, is it possible for me to just call the dealer and tell them the VIN to get one made? This is the newest ram I've ever owned, so not used to these keys. Or is it more in depth then that?

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I bought my 12. I only got 1 FOB, with that key and the VIN, the dealer was able to get a second FOB programmed up to the truck. If you get a FOB on ebay, you need 2 good FOB's to do the programming on the 3rd at home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I bought my 12. I only got 1 FOB, with that key and the VIN, the dealer was able to get a second FOB programmed up to the truck. If you get a FOB on ebay, you need 2 good FOB's to do the programming on the 3rd at home.
But by "Programming" is there like a internal chip with this model of truck? Like the key for this truck is a hybrid between a normal key and the plastic key. It doesn't have power locks, so they key fob doesn't have lock or unlock buttons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

My ignition key looks like this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is different from mine. If you look at the picture to the right of the one you show, mine is the one in the bottom right quadrant. I can pull the "regular" key out of the FOB to unlock the tailgate or door if my FOB battery dies, but defiantly need the FOB to start the truck.

·
Registered
100 Posts

This is what mine looks like. I have a Laramie, so maybe they use a different key for those???

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some bonded keysmiths can do them too, but around me, they were basically the same price, so I went to the dealer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You may be able to get one aftermarket, eBay or Amazon, and program the FOB yourself. You'll need the 4 digit PIN, usually the dealer parts dept will give it to you, unless they're totally inept or just being jerks. (If the dealer lets you down, there's software called Chrysler Pin Puller that works to get the PIN. You'll also need the AlfaOBD software, (Android or Windows only, no IOS support), and an OBDLink MX bluetooth OBD adapter. (Some folks have reported success with the BAFX bluetooth adapter, but the OBDlink MX or MX+ is one of the ones recommended by the developer, and seems to be the device of choice for most.

Sounds like you know your way under the hood, owning a SnapOn scanner. Do yourself a favor and do a little research on AlfaOBD and all it can do. you'll be pleasantly surprised on the capability and functionality. You can add options and turn on features even the dealer can't. For about the same cost as one trip to the dealer, you'll be way ahead of the game.

And yes, it works as advertised, when my son bought his 2012, he only got one FOB, and I programmed two more from Amazon for him as spares. I also added factory Uconnect and the steering wheel audio controls to his truck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may be able to get one aftermarket, eBay or Amazon, and program the FOB yourself. You'll need the 4 digit PIN, usually the dealer parts dept will give it to you, unless they're totally inept or just being jerks. (If the dealer lets you down, there's software called Chrysler Pin Puller that works to get the PIN. You'll also need the AlfaOBD software, (Android or Windows only, no IOS support), and an OBDLink MX bluetooth OBD adapter. (Some folks have reported success with the BAFX bluetooth adapter, but the OBDlink MX or MX+ is one of the ones recommended by the developer, and seems to be the device of choice for most.

Sounds like you know your way under the hood, owning a SnapOn scanner. Do yourself a favor and do a little research on AlfaOBD and all it can do. you'll be pleasantly surprised on the capability and functionality. You can add options and turn on features even the dealer can't. For about the same cost as one trip to the dealer, you'll be way ahead of the game.

And yes, it works as advertised, when my son bought his 2012, he only got one FOB, and I programmed two more from Amazon for him as spares. I also added factory Uconnect and the steering wheel audio controls to his truck
Thanks a lot, will be looking more into this tomorrow. Yes I know a bit, diesel mechanic for over 8 years now. This dodge security has my head turned though lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks a lot, will be looking more into this tomorrow. Yes I know a bit, diesel mechanic for over 8 years now. This dodge security has my head turned though lol.
I too bought a basic 2012 Ram Verizon Mtc truck. It had the plastic FOB with lock & unlock. I bought the program for my specific Vin. Got a NAV unit with hands free phone, added a back up camera by programming it. Bought leather heat and vent seats, working on programming those to work, but the wiring harness doesn't have enough wires in it, so am going to have to add some wires. Had another FOB made at my local key shop for $35 so you might try a key shop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts