DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 2012 dodge ram express. shortly after buying it i put on a 50 series flowmaster muffler. it sounds great but when it drops down to 4 cylinders its making a loud grumbling noise and it doesnt feel like the tranny is shifting properly? any help would be greatly appreciated since my own tranny mec. cant even figure out a solution.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i just bought a 2012 dodge ram express. shortly after buying it i put on a 50 series flowmaster muffler. it sounds great but when it drops down to 4 cylinders its making a loud grumbling noise and it doesnt feel like the tranny is shifting properly? any help would be greatly appreciated since my own tranny mec. cant even figure out a solution.
Your going to have to kick your shifter to the left to put it in manual mode. Shift all the way until you see 6 and it will shift through all the gears normally without going into mds!! MDS sucks and I have not noticed a fuel milage difference. I just installed a manaflow 14, should have got the 18 its too loud!

·
Registered
153 Posts
No and glad they are still there. Try driving you truck as I said above I think you will notice a complete change in the way it feels. If taking it out of MDS was not possible I don't know it I would still own this thing. It bothered me alot!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ok cause taking those off can drive some nuts lol and sorry you hate it i love my 2011 guess the 2012 tranny was not that great of an upgrade then.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok cause taking those off can drive some nuts lol and sorry you hate it i love my 2011 guess the 2012 tranny was not that great of an upgrade then.
I don't hate it but its a little too loud on the highway!! I get that drone and it drives me nuts. Some guys don't mind I understand, but its my daily driver and I wanted something that sounded nice but was not too loud. I made the mistake its not the muffler just me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have never manually shifted my truck before. is that what you are telling me i have to do? i have no idea what you are talking about, sorry to sound like a moron. can you please explain it in idiot terms?

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have never manually shifted my truck before. is that what you are telling me i have to do? i have no idea what you are talking about, sorry to sound like a moron. can you please explain it in idiot terms?
Sure. Pull your shift lever all the way back to drive. step 2 push the shifter to the left. in the middle of your dash you will be able to see what gear your in. Step 3 push the shifter to the right now and keep pushing it to the right until the shift indicater on the dash shows 6. Just drive and it will shift through all your gears normally and not ever drop into 4 cylinder mode(MDS) Multi displacement system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the controls to shift manually are on the shifter. so once in 6 leave it there and drive normally?

·
Registered
698 Posts
The only real complaint I've noticed on the forum about the Flowmaster is this occasional interaction with the MDS. Maybe it's because the FM is a chambered muffler, and it transmits/resonates the funky MDS drone into the bed of the pickup a little more than some of the straight-through mufflers...but honestly that's just speculation on my part.

The issue of the transmission may just be the nature of the beast. Many here have a level of sensitivity or annoyance with the shifting of this tranny while many others have no issue at all. I tend to think the shifting complaints are often associated with the feedback some owners feel with the MDS. I'm one of those who doesn't notice the issue to any annoying degree, but I understand how some are sensitive to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I notice with my stock exhaust, that it drones when it hits MDS, I plan on getting a 50 series flowmaster, but i'm scared for the drone.

·
Registered
87 Posts
if you're scared of the drone of a flowmaster get a magnaflow. a straight thru muffler wont give you that effect. ive always hated flowmasters on anything thats a daily driver....too much drone. As far as the shifter is concerned, the expresses dont have a floor shifter so you need to just put the truck in "D" on the column, then press the + button til you see 6. ive only tried this once because my truck doesnt sound terrible with the magnaflow but correct me if im wrong....if you hit the + after the 6 is displayed, manual shift is disabled and mds is active until you select a lower gear correct?

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
the controls to shift manually are on the shifter. so once in 6 leave it there and drive normally?
^^^^ Yup, this is how it's done. The number indicates the highest gear it will shift into. You can set it and forget it, just like drive however without the drop down to four cylinders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so i just got home from drivin my truck in 6 and there was no drone at all. you guys are ****in genius in my book! my exhaust guy and dodge couldnt figure out how to stop the drone noise. i will most def be calling my exhaust guy in the morning and explain what the problem was. now i have 2 more stupid questions. 1 will my gas mileage be worse now running my truck without mds? 2. is this putting strain on my tranny at all? 3. will a magnaflow muffler def stop the drone noise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you're scared of the drone of a flowmaster get a magnaflow. a straight thru muffler wont give you that effect. ive always hated flowmasters on anything thats a daily driver....too much drone. As far as the shifter is concerned, the expresses dont have a floor shifter so you need to just put the truck in "D" on the column, then press the + button til you see 6. ive only tried this once because my truck doesnt sound terrible with the magnaflow but correct me if im wrong....if you hit the + after the 6 is displayed, manual shift is disabled and mds is active until you select a lower gear correct?
what magnaflow muffler would you suggest then?

·
Registered
87 Posts
i would suggest the 14" mufflex kit. for what i do theres no drone. every truck is different, i cant promise anything, but i really like mine.

as for your tranny being strained. absolutely not, all youre doing by this is shutting off mds, so basically it wont shut off 4 cyl when you get up to speed. Mileage may change depending on where you drive and how you drive. only one way to find out right?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the Mufflex 14 and my truck has alot of drone. The 18 is the safe bet! If you call mufflex they will even tell you the 14 will have drone I didn't listen. My bad!! The fix is easy I'm getting th 18 soon. Seems as though the younger guys don't mind as much but I'm 44 and its a bit much for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts