DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help finding a replacement computer for my 1990 W150. Dodge part number is 04429546. Mother MOPAR, in its infinite wisdom, discontinued it three years ago. Any suggestions on a source?

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
There are companies that refurbish the computers ........
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=fOgNWsnaM860jwPLnJDwAQ&q=refurbished+ECM+and+other+automotive+computers&oq=refurbished+ECM+and+other+automotive+computers&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2561.54817.0.56448.46.46.0.0.0.0.188.4187.43j3.46.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.37.3422...0j0i131k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1j33i21k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.2ChN413ztK4

A friend of mine decided to use one of those companies, i believe his Dodge was an '89
The issue that he ran into was that his Dodge had a Stick Shift & all the refurbishing company had for computers was for Automatics. They are not compatible.

The refurbishing company wanted his computer or a core charge before they would ship 1 to him. He paid the Core charge, along with the Serial Number & all the other numbers off of his computer.
The computer they sent him had no matching numbers to the list but they told him that it would work, it started the truck one time & it shut off almost immediately, never to start again. A mechanic here works only on electronics & he stated that it happened because my friends truck was a Stick Shift & the computer was for an automatic.

My friend sent it back & they sent him another one & got the same results

He ended up selling that Dodge to an dismantler

I had suggested that he covert it to a regular carburetor set up & drive it
The DMV had given him paperwork that made the Dodge exempt from Smog Testing because of the amount of money that he had spent trying to get it running & smogged.
That 318 cu.in with the stick shift would have run like crazy with a carburetor

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
W150 Computer Failure

Is that what ended up being defective on your truck?
That is the last piece in the puzzle. I have tested or replaced every other component. I sent the computer off to National Parts for rebuilding. They will test it first and give me the results. Apparently they go bad often and cores are hard to come by. I spoke to a couple of companies that said they had one, but they didn't seem sure that it was the right one and they wanted more cash than the rebuilder.

I figure the best chance of getting the right one is getting back the one that was working in the truck already.

Since there have been some bad experiences with computer companies I plan to post a play by play on this National Parts bunch so if it turns our well other people will have a good source.

So far, they have charged me $250 and sent me a pretty comprehensive spec sheet to fill out to ship with the computer. I filled it out and stuck it in the box with the unit and shipped it UPS to their Jacksonville facility. It is due to land on Monday. They claim they will have it turned around in 2-3 business days so it should be headed back my way before Thanksgiving if they are good to their word. Updates will be forthcoming as the process goes forward.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I used a company called Auto Module Source (AMS) out of FL last year when I needed a PCM for an '01 Dakota. They charged me $229 and while I needed to send the original back, they paid the return shipping and dd not charge me a core charge up front. It was a "if you don't send the old one back then we'll charge you the core" deal. They pre-programed it with the VIN, etc. for me, it took 5 minutes to install and it worked perfectly. The dealer had wanted $800 for a re-manufactured unit, plus install labor.

-K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts