DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L engine. I just put in a new K&N air intake on it two days ago, and it seems to be idleing low and has died 3 or 4 times when i was stopped or had it in park. Today is the first day I have driven it a considerable amount since putting on the air intake. My dad and i put it on, and did everything as directed. What could be the problem? The only non-stock parts it has is k&n air intake and Flowmaster exhaust.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Hopefully your MAF(Mass Air Flow) Sensor wasn't damaged during your swap. Did you unhook your negative battery lead to reset ECM/ECU while installing your CAI? Hopefully it's just a loose clamp or something. Otherwise, MAF's can get expensive. Good luck bud and let us know what ya find.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hopefully your MAF(Mass Air Flow) Sensor wasn't damaged during your swap. Did you unhook your negative battery lead to reset ECM/ECU while installing your CAI? Hopefully it's just a loose clamp or something. Otherwise, MAF's can get expensive. Good luck bud and let us know what ya find.
Uhm...he doesn't have a MAF sensor I'm almost positive. Just an air temp sensor

i suggest just double checking wire connections that you may have bumped

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I will check all of my wires. I had to drill into the air intake hose and installed the air temp sensor right, but I will look and make sure no wires are loose.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You shold not have to adjust idle in any way coming from a stock intake to an aftermarket one. We dont have a MAF but we do have a MAP sensor. Make sure you have all of your connections, wires and hoses, connected and tight and they are not cracked. Worst comes to worst, IF you did damage that in istallation, they dont cost that much to replace....i seen $40ish + on the internet.

When i hear of this problem i instantly think vacuum leak somewhere. So double check everything. Also make sure anything you may have modified on this intake is sealed. If you allow extra air to enter at the after the MAP sensor, It will run rough and die.

·
Registered
307 Posts
manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP sensor). It basically measures the air pressure coming into the engine so the computer can regulate proper running conditions. With out it, your engine basically will not run right.

Upload a pic so i can see what you did

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Side note, tjbiker031...

you seem very knowledgeable and helpful to some of these guys on here. Wish you'd come around more, we could use more guys like you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Side note, tjbiker031...

you seem very knowledgeable and helpful to some of these guys on here. Wish you'd come around more, we could use more guys like you.
Thanks man, i appreciate that. Im trying to get on here more often. Right now trying to juggle Auto Tech school and work....Im trying....

Upload a pic of the whole air intake?
Yes, your intake set up on the engine...hopefully its on the top of the engine :smileup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, your intake set up on the engine...hopefully its on the top of the engine :smileup:[/QUOTE]

Haha it is. I was just making sure you didn't want a pic of that sensor cause I haven't looked to see where it's located at yet. It's not part of the air temp sensor is it

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
i honestly cannot figure out how to upload a pic on here lol my computer wont do it
easiest way honesty is to make a free photobucket account. Upload your photo to photobucket, then copy and paste the "IMG CODE" into your post. when you submit the post, the image will show up

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 2005 Dodge Dakota with 4.7L and installed K&N system. Had same problem coming to a stop engine would die. after checking found filter was over lubed with oil and was causing the issue. I was told it was saturating my the mas air flow sensor. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a grand prix one time the map sensor vacuum hose came off I told my wife not to drive it till I could look at it. well she did she couldn't wait 10 min. and used a tank of gas in 12 miles and bitched at me for it. what can you do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts