DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Programmer, good exhaust (not just a cat-back), a CAI may help as well. Something you definitely need to get that moving with the little engine is GEARS. Do you know what your stock axle ratio is? 4.56's - definitely worth it, but a bit pricier for you to do since you're 4wd. If you can find a set of HO cams, get them. If not then you can probably get a custom set of cams ground to those specs. Then custom tuning would help you out tremendously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what the stock ratio is, im getting ready to get a new exhaust in a few days what would you prefer i really dont wanna get headers right now, my truck isnt that bad i just want more throttle response like more low end power yea forgot to mention i have a cai

·
Registered
81 Posts
No matter what you do to a 4.7, its never going to have Cummins-like torque. Truth be told, the old 230-horse 5.9 has more off-idle grunt than even the 310-horse 4.7. So GEARS (as already mentioned) are your friend. The little 287 cubic inch motor just has to spin to do its work, but that kills your unloaded fuel economy. Everything's a compromise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.