DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might seem stupid but how do you remove the fan shroud?

was able to get the two pieces loose but could not find a easy way to remove the piece everything is in the way.

I know there has to be a way other than to remove/disconnect the ac lines.

I've searched online for steps and videos but no luck.

I am not during the work myself and my ac don't work so at this point it don't bother me other than knowing there has to be a easyier way to do it other than what my friend did.

still trying to convince him in order to replace the thermostat and hoses he needs to remove the alternator bracket thing too but he insists he don't, we'll see what happens tomorrow when he starts to really tinker with it.

any links to picture or video on exaclty how to remove the fan shroud would be awesome or any that shows how to remove the bracket to get to the thermostat would be great too.

van details:
1997 ram van b2500
5.2l v8 engine.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really can't believe how little information there is for this.

nothing in the chiltons repair manual either on how to remove the shroud every time it needs to be removed it just says remove shroud.

There has to be an easy way to remove this shroud at least the top half.

I can't image everytime you'd disconnect the ac lines to do it. luckily for me (or perhaps not so lucky) my ac system has not worked since i bought the vehicle guy working on it said it had no coolant in the system so there has to be a leak somewhere.

i know its off right now but it bothers me on how to get it off normally. I can't ask the guy well i did but he didn't understand his English is not always so good.

But i was thinking perhaps once you have it disconnected from the bottom half you really remove it by taking it off from underneath the vehicle.

its just my curiosity.

Ryan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gotta drain the windshield washer tank and pull it off (pain in the ass) and there's 4 bolts, 1 at each corner

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know this is an older thread but i had to remove the fan shroud again and it was a pain in the butt.

that video shows for a pickup i could get my shroud off with no problems if i didn't have all hte stuff over it. after taking off the bolts/nuts whatever it comes apart into two pieces. the top half and the bottom. even if i removed the bottom have there are too many hoses and such in the way to easily remove it and the top have has the same problem with the upper radiator hose and the ac lines that run directly on top of the shroud.

last time i just disconnected the ac lines since the system is no working and moved them out of hte way and the upper radiator hose and i was able to get it out.

this last time though i could not get the ac lines unscrewed which i couldn't understand since I didn't even tighten them all that tight last time anticipating if i had to do it agian but this time they would not budge.

ended up breaking the shroud but at least it broke in a good spot. enough to allow it to come out (still a hassle) but not bad enough the two parts don't fit back to there and hold each other when the bolts are put back in.

i am thinking about drilling two holes one in each half at the break and using a tie strap just for extra stability.

but if there is some way to get it off normally without all this hassle i would love to know, half of the repair job seems to just be removing the damn shroud and then the rest falls in line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts