DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I just picked up my Ram last Oct. It is a 2012 1500 Crew. I know there are lots of trends about towing and different set-ups. Long story short I just picked up a 30 foot ATV trailer and am planing putting around six full size machines on it, so the first problem is that i will need to stop it. I was thinking of going with the factory brake controller but some say the T3 is the way to go. Need opinions please. The second thing is i just pulled my 20 foot ATV trailer with 5 machines on it and noticed with a full bed of gear i was sitting a little low in the back. So was thinking of adding some bags in the back.... Just dont know which way to go.. Really like the TLC system but its big money. Will the Air Lift system be good enough ?
thanks for any help/suggestions
Ryan

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have an airlift 1000 in my truck and pull a 25 foot travel trailer which weighs 4,000 empty, so max about 5,500 loaded and it sits pretty level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks LeftCoast for the info. How long have you had them in? Do they seem to be holding up well? I guess i am just a little stuck on making up my mind as to what to go with. Really like to TLC set up but for the Maybe six times a year i will be pulling is the money worth it.?.?. Do you run a brake controller?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have not run either air bag system, but have decided to go with the Air Lift.

But... I already bought the TLC! So, if you decide you want the TLC, check the classifieds, I've got a TLC kit there, bought last week, still in the box, to your door for $350.

- DAA

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
A load leveling hitch might be a help to you as well. I don't know what is available for aftermarket shocks for the 2013, but I have been very pleased with the Rancho 9000's on my 05 Ram. Crank em to full firmness for towing and you can dial em back for everyday driving. I had my Dodge dealer put them on when my truck was new, at 185,000 miles they are still good.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hey thanks LeftCoast for the info. How long have you had them in? Do they seem to be holding up well? I guess i am just a little stuck on making up my mind as to what to go with. Really like to TLC set up but for the Maybe six times a year i will be pulling is the money worth it.?.?. Do you run a brake controller?
I would recommend buying a WDH for this setup. Weight displacement through the pickup does wonders. Our coil spring rear axles do squat even well within the tow rating. As far as brake controllers I prefer the hayes models- easy install and infinite adjustment capabilities. And MADE IN USA! I would never pull your trailer with the ATV's without trailer brakes and in most states it is the law. I have the TLC system on my truck because I pull near capacity. 25000 miles towing with the system and brake controller and no problems. If I towed occasionally I would not suggest investing in any other rear suspension upgrades as it is not cost effective.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not run either air bag system, but have decided to go with the Air Lift.

But... I already bought the TLC! So, if you decide you want the TLC, check the classifieds, I've got a TLC kit there, bought last week, still in the box, to your door for $350.

- DAA
thanks DAA, ya i will definitely check them out. If i was to pick those up from you how would payment work?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A load leveling hitch might be a help to you as well. I don't know what is available for aftermarket shocks for the 2013, but I have been very pleased with the Rancho 9000's on my 05 Ram. Crank em to full firmness for towing and you can dial em back for everyday driving. I had my Dodge dealer put them on when my truck was new, at 185,000 miles they are still good.
thanks hydrex. ya i have been thinking about a WDH and i had a set of rancho on my silverado loved them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would recommend buying a WDH for this setup. Weight displacement through the pickup does wonders. Our coil spring rear axles do squat even well within the tow rating. As far as brake controllers I prefer the hayes models- easy install and infinite adjustment capabilities. And MADE IN USA! I would never pull your trailer with the ATV's without trailer brakes and in most states it is the law. I have the TLC system on my truck because I pull near capacity. 25000 miles towing with the system and brake controller and no problems. If I towed occasionally I would not suggest investing in any other rear suspension upgrades as it is not cost effective.
Hope this helps.
it dose help, thanks sanda! ya i will have to check into the hayes models controller. I don't do as much towing as you but still feel that i could use something to aid in the rear for when i am towing and have a bed full of gear.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It sounds like a WDH is in definitely in order. Get that set and then figure out the airbags for the load in the bed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You do need a WDH, but the factory brake controller will be fine.

I pull a 25' 5,500 lb camper using the factory controller on my rig, and it works just fine, no issues at all.

And as far as air bags, if you're gonna go that route, may as well do it right the 1st time and get the TLC system.

I've personally found in the long run, spending the extra up front is a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle then buying cheaper, then having to replace it later on cuz it don't work anymore or isn't enough anymore.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I haven't even taken them out of the boxes yet (came in two boxes). I'll open them up tomorrow and take some pics.

- DAA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts