DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum and found similar issues but none quite the same. Here goes:
1998 Ram 2500 4x2, 5.9l gas, auto. While driving the engine died as if the key had been shut off. After 30 seconds of cranking the engine, it restarted, made it another 200 yards down the road and died again, has not restarted since. Will turn over strong but no fire.
When key is turned to ON, gauges all stay pegged at bottom and after 20 seconds or so, odometer starts flashing at 1 second intervals off and on. No messages about the BUS, just the mileage flashes.
When diagnostic reader is plugged in, it gets power from the connector but when it asks for key ON, when key is turned to on, reader goes dead.
I have checked all fuses and relays, all good. I have replaced crankshaft position sensor, ignition module on steering column, and the ECM. None of these have changed any of the behaviors of the problem. At a loss as to what to do next. I'm fearing it could be something as simple as a bad ground but aside from the (good) battery cables, where would I start looking?
If you can help me with this, the beers are on me!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Fuel pressure. Test fuel pump see if you have 45 psi. Pump could be bad or getting hot. Other thing is rest computer by disconnecting it for 30 sec. This might send it into limp mode and allow it to start. Also when you have the tester on the port and it flashes off do you hace a CEL light still on dash? If your CEL turns off with key on and dsnt come back on after bulb check it is usualy a power loss at pcm. Or bad pcm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts