DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to be installing Dynatech Supermaxx headers on my '05 HEMI and I currently have a Flowmaster Super40 Series AmericanThunder cat-back exhaust. Now I want to get a high flow cat to top off this system. Any suggestions on a good one to go with? Was thinking Magnaflow... but not sure how well that will work with having three different brands tacked together like that. Should I bite the bullet and spend the money on the Dynatech High Flow Cat or will getting the Magnaflow High Flow Cat not make much of a difference? Or is there a better one to go with? :4-dontknow: Any input would be appreciated :smileup:

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Can you get the Dynatech High Flow's without the Y Pipe? The prices for the Magnaflow high flows are very competitive and include the bungs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have come across a few times where people have tested High Flow vs. Stock vs. Striaght Pipe and the gains are only a couple of horse power...

http://www.delsolsource.com/2011/01/05/high-flow-cat-vs-test-pipe-vs-stock/

Granted that is a Civic that was used, but I mean how different can a stock Ram cat compared to a Magnaflow?

I personally would not put money on changing out the cats unless you are going to run long tube headers and need to just disgard the cats all together.

That is just my two cents though.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get the Dynatech High Flow's without the Y Pipe? The prices for the Magnaflow high flows are very competitive and include the bungs.
Yea I can buy just the high flow Dynatechs, just not sure which to go with ya know. Will I need two though since it is going to be a single pipe system?

the bottleneck will be the flowmasters...who suggested to go that route?
I chose the Flowmaster lol :box:. It is only going to be a single pipe exhaust for now and then down the road am going to convert over to true duals. And then when I go true duals I am going to run dual Flowmaster Super10 Series
:LOL:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have come across a few times where people have tested High Flow vs. Stock vs. Striaght Pipe and the gains are only a couple of horse power...

http://www.delsolsource.com/2011/01/05/high-flow-cat-vs-test-pipe-vs-stock/

Granted that is a Civic that was used, but I mean how different can a stock Ram cat compared to a Magnaflow?

I personally would not put money on changing out the cats unless you are going to run long tube headers and need to just disgard the cats all together.

That is just my two cents though.
Yea they are long tube headers so that's why I was wondering about the cats. I mean if it isn't much of a change then I can just run the stock cat for now, but at the same time I would like for the entire system to be new so I can get rid of the entire stock crap that dodge put underneath this beauty lol

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was also thinking of dressing all this up with a gloss blue finish, but am unsure if I want to put the 500*F or the 2000*F enamel on the whole thing lol. I am sure the 500 would be ok...right?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i had the magnaflows in my 96...they were great. although i also had magnaflow mufflers...i dont know how they will perform in the mix and match system you have though....probably fine, but i agree chefred above about the flowmasters.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
if you like the sound of flows, then thats all that matters..they do sound mean at idle and part throttle..at wot, not so much, I needed a quieter setup than the flow 50's I ran a long while back and by changing to mags, realized the performance hit I was taking (track times proved it)... our hemi's like straight through mufflers, not chambered ones..

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have inspection but no emission checks. Was talking to my mechanic and he said while he is putting the headers on he will hand me the cats to "hold on to" til he needs them again. Really glad I made friends with him and his boss cause his boss said strange things happen when cats are taken off lmao. So for inspection purposes they will still be there.. emissions not so much lol. Just hope it doesn't cause an O2 sensor warning. Any way to get round that if it does?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yea they are long tube headers so that's why I was wondering about the cats. I mean if it isn't much of a change then I can just run the stock cat for now, but at the same time I would like for the entire system to be new so I can get rid of the entire stock crap that dodge put underneath this beauty lol
Ah gotcha there. And that is fair enough. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can always put the O2 sensors inline somewhere close so you wire will be long enough. As long as they can read something it will not throw a code. I'm sure if you don't have them installed your gas will be really rich and drink gas like crazy.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
non foulers or have the rear o2's tuned off via custom tune.

We have inspection but no emission checks. Was talking to my mechanic and he said while he is putting the headers on he will hand me the cats to "hold on to" til he needs them again. Really glad I made friends with him and his boss cause his boss said strange things happen when cats are taken off lmao. So for inspection purposes they will still be there.. emissions not so much lol. Just hope it doesn't cause an O2 sensor warning. Any way to get round that if it does?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts