DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm preparing to do my first cam swap on my 2014 5.7L 1500. I'm putting in Comp Cams' 270 VVT phaser cam along with new pushrods, beehive springs, I.D. Locators, Valve Spring retainers, and cam phaser limiter kit. I was wondering what other parts and/or tools I would need in order to successfully complete the job. Maybe even a link to a detailed write up on the procedures?

I have air tools, plenty of sockets, wrenches, torque wrench, serpentine belt tool kit. Just not sure what other specialty tools I would need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smileup:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
If you are not removing the heads, you might need a small magnet on a wand, in case a lifter drops. You'll need a Diablo tuner and someone who knows how to tune for that cam. (hemifever). I'd talk to him before even starting. My mechanic left heads on. Get her on a dyno, you may want to raise shift points if the power peak goes up. On my non VVT cam 05 , the spartan plus cam required a 3,000 rpm stall converter and raised shift points to 6200. If your power peaks at the stock shift point, raise it a couple hundred over peak. Hemifever may be able to give you a starter tune.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You're not going to find a good write up on a VVT cam install. No one is doing them because they are very difficult to tune. Like Hydrex said, I would talk to a tuner first and go from there.

Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darn. I really just want to do it for the experience but it seems like I might just end up taking it to the shop. At least they can do the swap and tune it at the same place. Maybe I can just observe or something.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Tuning has been a major issue. Not sure anyone has it figured out yet. You could very well spend a lot of money and time on a dyno so plan to expect that.

I assume you already have long tube headers? Definitely no point in doing a cam swap without headers. The beast cant flow as it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup long tubes and straight pipes all the way back. I can't believe how restrictive the whole exhaust system is from factory. I was blowing smoke from all the crap that was backed up when I ran just the headers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts