DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lke others here I plan to have the 'aluminum' trim pieces of my interior - radio bezel, console, airvents painted to match my flame red ram. I'd also like to have the two small inserts on the steering wheel done but I'm curious about their removal. Do they just pop out or do you have to remove the airbag, etc???

Had one body shop quote me $350 to paint those pieces, another (I've done business with both) said "about a hundred bucks." That's based on me pulling the pieces out and taking them in for paint - that's why I'm curous about removal.

May have him do a few under the hood pieces too, so long as he's mixing paint.

Any help appreciated...:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wow a hundred bucks is a deal. I'm not sure how those pieces come off but I think they pop out. I'll be watching your thread as i'm doing mine to match my truck maybe this weekend. I manage a shop so It'll be a real good deal :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll admit I'm a bit undecided - also looking at a dash kit that would accomplish the same end result without having to pull everything apart. The paint work might end up a bit more cause I'm thinking if I go the paint route I'll also have the shop paint my hemi engine cover and the CAI airbox flame red to start dressing up under the hood.

·
Registered
179 Posts
They pop out with some careful prying and then each have an electrical connect to release too. Lastly, the buttons themselves come out of the trim piece. I painted mine too and if I can ever figure out how to post pictures successfully from an iPad; I could post my pics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I removed mine today. I used a small plastic pry tool. Started at the bottom and worked it out a bit. Then moved around to the outside end where there is one clip. Once that one is loose then work on the two inside ones on the top and bottom. Once all three are loose I had to pull back on the horn a bit in order to pull the assembly out. This caused my horn to go off while I was doing it so if your worried about ticking off the neighbours then pull the horn fuse. So once you have the button assembly out you will have to seperate the trim from the buttons but it will be apparent how this is done once you look at it.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mccritter! I plan to get mine done just after the first of the month. This will help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts