DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a dodge ram 1500 and I am using it to pull a horse trailer. Both the trailer and the truck have a 7 way hook up on them. I just rewired the trailer and hooked it up to my dodge and the turn signals and brake lights work but the clearance lights and the tail lights do not work. I used a tester checked the plug on the truck and it seems to be working fine. I hooked it up to a friends ford f250 and all the lights work as well as the interior lights. Through this I figure this means that the trailer is wired right and that there must be something that I am missing on the truck I was wondering what I am missing? :4-dontknow:

·
Premium Member
32,601 Posts
it would seem to me that 2 of the pins on your Dodge 7 pin hook up are crossed
with trucks & trailers it happens quite often between brands

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I have noticed on my Rams, that the contacts in the trailer connector sometimes bend in the wrong direction when plugging in a trailer, so don't make proper connection. I have had to bend them straight more than once. The Dodge connector is the least overall compatible connector when it comes to the pins mating....the Ford is the most compatible. I have often considered replacing the dodge connector.....but I just don't want to 'contaminant' my Ram. :str:

·
Premium Member
32,601 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what you are saying. I know that with trailer lights being hooked up right after putting it on a ford and know that they work. To replace the truck connector is easy I did it in 10 min you have to take a connector off the old one and put it on the new one I did not have to cut any wires or anything just take off a connecter and reattach it to the new plug in. After I did this and before I rewired the horse trailer all the lights worked except the interior lights. I rewired the trailer because the person that had it before I did neglected to use a junction box and had all the just twisted together so the lights would not work all of the time. I replaced all the wire and the places they are spliced together I used push in connectors. and then conected them to a junction box and used a 7 way sloted conector on it. no pins we had to trial and error with the ford to make sure that the lights were hooked up right and function which they do on the ford just not on my dodge. But when you test the hook up on the truck it seems to be ok ugghh I guess I will have to take it in

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Here is a pictorial of the wiring for a 7-way trailer connector. The view is from the back of the connector. This will not apply to the connector on your truck, as the Dodge connector has it's own plug on the back...which you already mentioned. :)

Maybe this can help to verify the trailer side wiring....specifically the Tail Lights (brown wire).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts