DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
im looking into making more power and want to get heads and a cam and not stock so what im asking is if you gotta 318 1998 and you bought a cam or heads seprate or as a kit what did you get ,were did you get it ,how much did it cost ,and how much HP did you pick up im cheap so if you payed over 500 for one or 1000 for both dont tell me its to much

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
You might look thru some back issues of some of the "Mopar" magazines. I seem to remember reading a build of a 318 that put out a lot of hp and was totally streetable. Heck, I remember some damned fast 318's back in the 60's and 340's WOOT. i know of a 340 Dart running low 6's in the 1/8 locally....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i know how the cam and heads function but i get lost as hell when it comes down to knowing what to look for in improvment the cams always say agressive idle and the heads just say bigger valves i dont want to just sound nice i want it to run nice and i dont want to buy something just because of numbers i want HP specs

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Welcome to the Ram Forum " Z " Family Kevingunn :wavey:

While your waiting on replies, take the sites user friendly
' Search ' feature for a spin, the archives run deep ;)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You will need a "tune" for it to run correctly with an aggressive cam or any mods depending on what you are looking to achieve. More details would he helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im realy looking just to get more torqe and HP wih thout having to bore or buy a 5.7 i want to use my block and slowly improve it and i dont want it just for drag strip purpose its a every day driver and i thought heads and a cam would have ben a install and use??

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
im realy looking just to get more torqe and HP wih thout having to bore or buy a 5.7 i want to use my block and slowly improve it and i dont want it just for drag strip purpose its a every day driver and i thought heads and a cam would have ben a install and use??
Not in a 98, it's computer controlled. There are preset parameters programmed in for the heads and cam you have. Changing those will confuse the computer and if it's enough of a change it you'll be lucky if it runs. Need a custom tune to adapt and get it to run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts