DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter (dark all the time) and large amounts of wildlife up here in northern Alberta make for some pretty crappy driving as I my high beams are some of the worst I have used.

Thinking I have two options

1. HID headlights but I don't really want to just put them in stock headlights as I do hate it when other people do that from the glare perspective...so I'd have to get projectors as well and it get's costly in the end

2. adding some behind grill aux driving lights ( thinking hella 500 black magic's)

has anyone done the driving lights and should I be good that way or option 1 would be the best end solution

was also hesitant on HID's just because seems like some weird things happen..I know one ram in town when ever they single both headlights turn off etc..

Thanks for any and all advice
Dan.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Hids in the stock headlight will be brighter but scattered light. I would say go with the lights behind the grill.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my new Ram, in that the headlights just don't seem quite adequate. Living in the middle of the desert, our nights aren't just dark, they're REAL dark.

I gave myself two options like you did, between HIDs and aux lights on my grill guard. I'm going with 4 KC 130w Daylighters (2 driving lights, 2 long range lights) mounted to my grill guard. They should be on tomorrow hopefully. I've got high hopes that there will be a world of difference. I'm interested to hear what you decide on and how it turns out once you're done.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I have 2 KC daylighters, 130 watt driving lights and they do make a world of difference, going with 2 more and going to buy a light bar mount for the front and get them right up front, should be like day light. I dont even use my highbeams with these daylighters, just lowbeams fogs and the daylighters! for under 200 bucks its the way to go

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea I am going to go with a couple behind the grill lights for now, was looking at those black magics just because they look blacked out with light off...and well my truck is black haha

but they are 55 watts I see you guys are both going with 130 watt lights...need to do more research!

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have 2 black KC Daylighters behind my grill and they put out some good light. I have the 100w and wish i would have gotten the 130w just to get a little more light but i am very happy with the amount of light the 100w puts out.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you get HIDs, you have to do a full lighting upgrade (LEDs, etc) -2Cents

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
I'm glad their are some people that still realize HID in a reflective housing is a no no
The glare they produce will glare of of snow and rain as well

I personally think if someone is looking for more light that relaying driving lights off the high beams is the way to go. Of course most states only allow you to have 4 lights on at a time, you deserve to get a fine if your drivi g qiththem on and soneobe else is around to see them No one should have to deal/be bothered with your extra light
My brother had 100w Hellas on his Cherokee that were really nice

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that and I HATE having to look away at other drivers who put HID's in reflective housing...eyes are getting sensitive as is to halogens at night lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jmorris I got excited when you said you had black kc day lighters...i googled but seems like just the housing are black

does any one know of any other 100+ watt lights that the chrome reflectors inside appear black much like the hella black magics

Thanks! Dan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
sorry to get your hopes up i should have been clearer. I would think if the reflective interior was black it wouldn't be as bright. not sure on that though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts