DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
yup...are you dropped? should be able to get under there without a ramp..I've always used jack stands for my changes..

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
The plastic ones work great. I've had a set for years that are the so-called "low profile" ones that I needed when my wife was driving a Firebird.

I think I paid about $40 for them almost 10 yrs ago

Exco

·
Registered
340 Posts
Jack and stands for me. But I just squiggle under to do the oil.

Me...

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I always just slide under, but when I do need to lift it I use a jack and jack stands. Make sure to use jack stands even with the ramps. Always double or triple up, I've seen a few cars fall on people.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have used the plastic ramp for 5-8 years to change oil in wifes car and custom van. Changed the oil in the ram this weekend and put it up on the ramps just to get some extra clearance. (Im probably not as sleek as I used to be. ) Worked fine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Huh. I'm needing some new ones also. I've been using three different lengths of 2x8's nailed together and ramping up. It works great they're just starting to rot. Think I might make some more or look into those plastic ones.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tks again all, got plastic from autozone, also cut some 2x8 glued and screwed them together,to slide "inside the ramps" in case they crush. bought jack stands and use them also, but i don't trust chineese metal. think i'm paranoid much? lol

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
better safe than sorry. I always double, triple, or quadruple up on stands/jacks. I've seen vehicles fall on people, don't want that happen to me. Although I've also seen and participated in lifting vehicles off of people, so that's just as weird. Amazing what adrenaline will do...

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I have used the wooden home made ramps & i still have them
the metal ones slide too easy on cement, when you try to get on them

I use these, i like how the under side cross hatched plastic is very solid
http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9867916/

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have the plastic ramps. I couldn't fit under the truck without them. Sounds like an excuse to lift the truck. I wonder if my Wife will go for it..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Either way...getting under a raised truck should always be done with care. I used wood a few times...not as elaborate as leftcoast posted and last time I backed off of them I noticed one of them had split down the middle. I had the jack stands in place but you can never be too careful. I have old steel ones but they don't have a weight rating so I need to come up with something new as well. I know the plastic has been around a long time now but they still make me nervous.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have never owned a set of ramps in the 30 years I have been working on cars and trucks. I use floor jacks and jack stands when I need to raise my vehicle.

However, I have never needed to raise my truck to do oil changes. Which makes things go quickly.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I have never owned a set of ramps in the 30 years I have been working on cars and trucks. I use floor jacks and jack stands when I need to raise my vehicle.

However, I have never needed to raise my truck to do oil changes. Which makes things go quickly.
I'm the same way. My dad gave me a set of metal ramps but I haven't used them in years. I prefer jacks and stands. It's faster too. I can jack the car up in about 2 minutes vs going to get the keys, driving it up, chalking the wheels, and still getting the stands out anyway...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts