DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to tone down the chrome on my front end because there's way too much for my taste. Looking for opinions and photo examples from y'all. Not entirely sure if I should go with an insert change/keep the frame or go with a black mesh type grill.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I switched my grille around a couple of times

I finally kept the Chrome Grille Surround & changed the inserts

I had bought this grille surround & decided against using it

I discarded the chrome bars that came with my Ram

from the factory

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I switched my grille around a couple of times

I finally kept the Chrome Grille Surround & changed the inserts

I had bought this grille surround & decided against using it

I discarded the chrome bars that came with my Ram

from the factory

I can't see any of your photos, they all say broken image.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
I want to tone down the chrome on my front end because there's way too much for my taste. Looking for opinions and photo examples from y'all. Not entirely sure if I should go with an insert change/keep the frame or go with a black mesh type grill.

Thanks in advance
That is a lot of chrome. Are you thinking of blacking it out like this one?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Thanks in advance
That is a lot of chrome. Are you thinking of blacking it out like this one?
Yeah eventually I'm going to do the front and rear bumper painted to match but it might be a while before I'm able to do it. I've seen a few mesh style solid grills that I like but the prices are insane...1k +. I want to see what others here have done and not break the bank. After endless searching, so far this front/rear bumper on Amazon is the best I've found. Everything is included in the price. Did you replace your chrome or did it already have everything painted?

MBI AUTO - Painted To Match, Steel Front Bumper Face Bar for 2014-2017 RAM 1500 W/Fog & Park 14-17, CH1002400 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0786PBJHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Q83CBb7HFHPTF

MBI AUTO - Painted To Match, Steel Rear Bumper Assembly for 2009-2018 RAM 1500 Pickup 09-18 W/Park, CH1103124 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07573J4HM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_e56CBb6Y92FY5

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
You could experiment with black plasti-dip on your bumpers

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here's what a black stainless mesh grille looks like. You can see everything behind it but I don't mind. I was looking for more air flow. It might look good with the active grille shutter behind it being it is black as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Thanks in advance

Kind of in a similar mindset. I have the stock chrome surround and inserts. The chrome surround is an awful lot of chrome. I am thinking about buying a painted/unpainted surround and having it painted my body color. I've been told the process of removing the chrome or painting over it is not good so better to go with something that is not chromed. Not sure where to locate a non-chrome surround if anybody has any input. I can live with the chrome inserts...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here's what a black stainless mesh grille looks like. You can see everything behind it but I don't mind. I was looking for more air flow. It might look good with the active grille shutter behind it being it is black as well.

I've never seen one where you can see through it like that. Do you have any pics looking straight on?

Thanks in advance

Kind of in a similar mindset. I have the stock chrome surround and inserts. The chrome surround is an awful lot of chrome. I am thinking about buying a painted/unpainted surround and having it painted my body color. I've been told the process of removing the chrome or painting over it is not good so better to go with something that is not chromed. Not sure where to locate a non-chrome surround if anybody has any input. I can live with the chrome inserts...
I decided to play around with plasti-dip this weekend on my inserts and badge. I had only seen pics/videos on what it looks like and I had low expectations being my first time messing with it. I was completely surprised about how well it turned out. I thought it would have some texture to it but it is smooth and uniform looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here are before and after pics.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thank you BayouRam4. I know it's not for everyone but I get a lot of compliments on it. It's not as "see through" when it is not directly facing the sun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you BayouRam4. I know it's not for everyone but I get a lot of compliments on it. It's not as "see through" when it is not directly facing the sun.
That's an aftermarket radiator/intercooler right? I can't see behind all the plastic on mine but I'm pretty sure it doesn't look like that lol!

·
Registered
937 Posts
That's an aftermarket radiator/intercooler right? I can't see behind all the plastic on mine but I'm pretty sure it doesn't look like that lol!
It is the intercooler for the procharger.

This is my blacked out front end. Getting rid of that chrome of the sport trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 express
95 Posts
I have a blacked out dodge. Do not like stock look. I cut it out myself using a dremmel. I am not a mechanic by any means and was able to get it done. I bought a cheap grille insert that had plastic rivets around $200. I changed the rivets to metal spikes for another $40. Added logo. I think it makes a huge difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is the intercooler for the procharger.

This is my blacked out front end. Getting rid of that chrome of the sport trim.
Yeah that's what I figured about the intercooler. Looking good... I didn't think the Sport model had much chrome to begin with other than the grill insert. I don't mind chrome but they over did it on the Laramie. I'm thinking about starting over on my current look and go in a different direction. I've been playing around with Photoshop doing different configurations with blacked out leaving some chrome.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a blacked out dodge. Do not like stock look. I cut it out myself using a dremmel. I am not a mechanic by any means and was able to get it done. I bought a cheap grille insert that had plastic rivets around $200. I changed the rivets to metal spikes for another $40. Added logo. I think it makes a huge difference.
Yeah man I like the look and especially with the Punisher emblem. I've got my badges blacked out right now but found Punisher ones I can add which I'll be doing soon

1 - 20 of 44 Posts