DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 ram 4x4 with the stock 20" chrome clad wheels and tires. I was debating staying with the 20's or dropping down to a 17" so i could have a lil more side wall. I am not to sure just yet the wheels I like are procomp 8101 and tires.are either going to be bfg all terrain or the nitto terra grappler. I would like to have the 285/75/17 size but do i need a leveling kit or do i need to stay stock size of 275?

·
Registered
355 Posts
You might be able to get away with the 285's, really depends on the backspacing. I have had several sets of BFG's (4 on 3 vehicles) and I love them and hate them at the same time, but my dislikes were due more in part to operator error and taking them places that were meant for a MT instead of an AT. I have also had a few sets of the nitto terra's so here is my comparison:
Ride:
Nitto, by far
Durability (milage wise):
BFG, harder tread compound
Durability (tread chipping, etc):
Nitto due to its tapered angles on all tread "corners"
Wet performance:
Nitto's at high speed, BFG's at lower speed or when you need the tire to "dig in" a little (on ice)

They are both great tires, and you will probably break even with the cost difference in the BFG's wear life over the nitto's. However, the nittos do tend to have better tread life over their shorter life span (tread remains more complete) so you can expect their performance to last a little longer into their lifespan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok now should I stay with the 20s or do 17s from the procomp 8101. And anyone have pics of these wheels on there trucks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts