DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a vibration in my 2006 Ram ... they found that the Crown & pinion had a weird wear pattern on the crown gear ...and the pinion was moving in causing the vibration ....it's almost as if the Differential was bent causing a weird wear patten on the crown gear ...

Has anyone ever seen something like this before ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
never herd of a crown and pinion but have herd of a ring and pinion if bad wear and the pinion moves you have bad pinion bearings and need to replace all bearings and the ring and pinion gears in the rear end

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
^What he said. Your bearings are out in the rear end. If you only replace the gears and not the bearings, you will be doing it again in a month or less.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer tells me

The dealer is telling me .. I have to replace the whole rear end of the truck .. as they think the axle may be bent ,,, but .. the truck shows no sign of abuse or being in an accident ..

so could the axle be bent , how would you check that ,,

The only noticiable sign of anything wrong other that the vibration ...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
To check for a bent axle you should pull the axle put of the tube and put it on a lathe ans spin it and check for run out along the shaft.

The easiest thing would be to pull the ring/pinion/carrier out and check for bearings that have eaten it then start dealing with other possibilities if everything looms good. Sounds like your dealer is lazy if they just wanna do a rear end swap

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Agreed, I would take it somewhere else bud. Its VERY rare to see a bent axle on a truck that hasnt been overloaded/beaten to death. These are pretty strong axle shafts to be bending like that. I mean, its possible...but only remotely. Auto Repairs are like serious human illnesses, ALWAYS get a second opinion when it could be thousands of dollars (or your life) on the table.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts