DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 14+ 2500 Overland System, from Thuren, for my 2015 rig. My wife has finally had it with not being able to place an online order to an eatery, while we were enroute. (lol)

Anyway, my order won’t ship for about a week, so I thought I’d start now and see if anyone here have personal experience in doing their own install, and may be able to pass on some valuable time saving advice or suggestions on how to proceed. You know, stuff like which end should I start on first? The front or the rear... and what you would recommend I use to hoist up the axles, since I won’t have access to professional garage hoists.... and whether or not the new springs should be compressed for easier mounting... and so on.

Just think of it, I can finally ditch the 750lbs I’ve been hauling everywhere, in my bed (to soften the ride a little). It’ Probably drive like a different truck!!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can start with the front. I does take some time but it's not bad. I used Jack stands under the frame rails for support. Use a good floor jack. I used two. One for each side of the axle. Remove the Front shocks . Follow the instructions on the Thuren web page. Check to make sure you have all of the proper Sockets and wrenches you need. When the truck is up high enough when lowering the axle the coils will come out pretty easy. I just made sure to get the truck up supported high.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Also remove the Front Track bar prior to lifting . When doing the rear if you have the Center shock that mounts the the axle use a small ratchet strap to compress it for removal and re install.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the quick reply, the suggestions, and the pictures!! Very much appreciated.

I’ve got two 3-ton jacks, just like the red one you have in one of your pictures. Would that do the job properly, or should I invest in a more beefier jack?

·
Registered
503 Posts
3 ton jacks are great. Just place them so you can get good lift and lowering. Some use just one jack. With 2 you can control it better I think side to side. Check your sockets to make sure you have sizes you'll need. Torque wrench also for the Track Bar Bolts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You'll want beefy tall jack stands. When I installed the Carli springs in my 2010 I went to Napa and purchased a pair of big jack stands. You need the truck up pretty high to drop the front axle enough to get the springs out. I wasn't messing around with my safety using small stands.

I second making sure you have the proper sized tools. Also, the track bar to frame bolt has to be ridiculously tight so you'll need at least 1/2 drive and a pipe.

Good luck. Nothing like the satisfaction of a job done right by your own hands.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Ed1774! I have 2 pairs of 3-ton jack stands (a total of 4), but they are of the shorter variety (from my years of owning Ram 1500’s). I was planning on stacking several 2x6x8 boards under them, but I’m gonna rethink that plan.

I totally agree with your statement on the satisfaction and gratification of a well done DYI job.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Thank you Ed1774! I have 2 pairs of 3-ton jack stands (a total of 4), but they are of the shorter variety (from my years of owning Ram 1500’s). I was planning on stacking several 2x6x8 boards under them, but I’m gonna rethink that plan.

I totally agree with your statement on the satisfaction and gratification of a well done DYI job.

Thanks again.

I have a set of 6 ton stands from US Jack-they support 6 tons a piece (I always thought rating them as pairs was retarded because it inflates their capacity) and are made in the USA. They are on the tall side for my 1500 but I think their size would be perfect for your 2500. I got mine from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/US-JACK-D-41610-Garage-Stands/dp/B00P248NYO

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, Thunderhorse. I’ll hop on to Amazon and search for them tall stands.

On an exciting note, my Thuren boxes arrived this afternoon. So excited to install ‘em, but won’t have enough time ‘till Friday... which should give me enough time to gather all the remaining tools.

I’ll post a before and after pics. I read that the Overland system will lift the front by 3” and the rear by 1.25”. That will basically level the truck, and get rid of the stock rake (I kinda liked the rake).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts