DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I recently picked up an ‘18 1500 Quad, 4x4 SLT. Like many, I find the rake to be too much. Right now I am sitting at 38.5 in the back and 36 at the front, both sides. It’s my plan to go to Bilsteins on the front, probably 2.1, but am struggling to decide what to do in the back. The biggest reason is because we tow a boat regularly. With it hooked up the rear drops to 36.5”. So I don’t want to be tail draggin when we go to the lake with an extra 2” up front.

So I’m not sure what the best option is for the rear. I wouldn’t mind new rear springs, so let my as it doesn’t introduce toooo much extra height. Is there a progressive rate coil that adds like an inch or less that carries more weight? Or I am open to other options if there are good ones to consider.

So what do you, more experienced than I, think the best options are here?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! So with the ride rite bags, how well do they hold up? I have heard that after a year or so of use they can wear out and have troupke holding air. Is that common?

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Thanks! So with the ride rite bags, how well do they hold up? I have heard that after a year or so of use they can wear out and have troupke holding air. Is that common?
I put mine on in Dec, 2012. They still work great. The nice thing is that when you don't need them you just deflate them(5 psi) and you get the nice stock ride. Which is especially great off road. But, I'm sure the progressive springs are very similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put mine on in Dec, 2012. They still work great. The nice thing is that when you don't need them you just deflate them(5 psi) and you get the nice stock ride. Which is especially great off road. But, I'm sure the progressive springs are very similar.
That's a pretty positive review! I like the idea of bags for sure. Are you able to keep the stock-ish height with a load in the bed?

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts

Here it is with a 1/3 yard of top soil.

Here is my travel trailer.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have the airlift 1000's in my Ram and I tow a 6000 lb travel trailer. The airbags do great when towing the trailer because I also use a weight distribution hitch that does a better job keeping the truck level. But I know most people don't use WDH when towing a boat, so your better option may be the heavier springs in the rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the airlift 1000's in my Ram and I tow a 6000 lb travel trailer. The airbags do great when towing the trailer because I also use a weight distribution hitch that does a better job keeping the truck level. But I know most people don't use WDH when towing a boat, so your better option may be the heavier springs in the rear.
I think I will leave the springs in reserve in case the air bags don’t cut it. I’d like to maintain the stock ride quality if possible. I do appreciate the input though! Another user of the bags is good to hear.

Here it is with a 1/3 yard of top soil.

Here is my travel trailer.

Thanks for the pics! That helps a bunch! If you don’t mind, can I ask what nerf bars you have? I want to add some, but don’t like that some aftermarket ones hang down too far. Yours look perfect, though.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Stock Ram bars. They came with the truck

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I tried the airlift 1000's and I was not satisfied. I then went with the tuftruck springs and wish I would have started with them and not wasted my time and money with the bags. From what you said I think the tuftruck 1223v's are what you want. You can call the manufacturer up and they will guide you to the right spring for your use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts