DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm hopin to get some advice on rebuilding my 5.9L engine. i'm doin this rebuild for my college project so i definately want an A! lol so what i'm tryin to figure out is what kinda cam i should put in it. i'm planning on boring it out but i'm not sure how much i wanna go yet but i'd like to beef up my engine a bit with a new cam but i'm just not sure how big of a cam i should use. i'm lookin to beef up my engine but also not blow up my transmission which was just rebuilt stock not even a year ago. also, any other advice or suggestions as far as the rebuild goes would be much appreciated! thanks!

Flathead

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are you lookin to up the compression, or what exactly you lookin for?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hey guys i'm hopin to get some advice on rebuilding my 5.9L engine. i'm doin this rebuild for my college project so i definately want an A! lol so what i'm tryin to figure out is what kinda cam i should put in it. i'm planning on boring it out but i'm not sure how much i wanna go yet but i'd like to beef up my engine a bit with a new cam but i'm just not sure how big of a cam i should use. i'm lookin to beef up my engine but also not blow up my transmission which was just rebuilt stock not even a year ago. also, any other advice or suggestions as far as the rebuild goes would be much appreciated! thanks!

Flathead
I as a transmission and engine rebuilder (specialize in transmissions) can tell you that you won't have to worry about blowing out the transmission, a performance 5.9L won't be able to produce enough torque to blow it out.

As for the Cam, look into Comp or Crane, if you want to be serious try Isky!

I too am working on a project for my 318 and I been working figuring out what the best timing would be for a mix of performance and stock ECM lol.

But anyways, I can only give advice on the transmission. I don't like externally balanced engines this is why.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you lookin to up the compression, or what exactly you lookin for?

well to be honest i'm kinda new to rebuilding an engine (haven't actually completely rebuilt one). i'm kinda lookin for more speed and torque i guess. i like to occasionally go off roading/mudding so you tell me what i should be lookin at doin more

·
Registered
128 Posts
In the process of finishing my rebuild on a 5.9 which is still sitting in my garage and will be dropping in this spring. Installed is an Comp Cam (XR258 part #20-744-9).

swapping engines

·
Registered
187 Posts
when he says bore it to a 408 he really means buy a 408 stroker kit and you'll basically have way more power and almost stock mpgs! and i would go with the r/v cam or r/t cam or evena 480/480 lift cam for some power increase. if u cant afford the cam try some 1.7 rr's they are like putting a mild cam in with hardly any wrk to them. add 408 kit stroker or instead of that put a nice cam with a m1 or fi airgap intake manafold and intake to breath with some good heads and headers with some free flowing exhaust along with the right rear end gears and maybe even a new torque converter say 2300-2600 you would have a whole new truck that would haul some serious but! my mods are in my signature.. 3 new ones that will be going in my rig soon are.... m1 intake manafold...3.92 gears...and a 2600 patc torque converter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts