DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock 20 inch rims(2002-2005?) on my truck and my friend is wanting to buy them. He has the body style before mine. His truck is like a 2000 or so. Well we put the rims on his truck one day and the lugnuts didn't go on all the way? What do we have to do to make them fit? Did we just put the rim on wrong or does he need extended stems? Anyone who knows your info will help alot!

E

·
0 Posts
Hard to tell from the description but I think I can help. Got a few questions for ya:

1. Did the wheel seat all the way back to the hub?
2. If so, how much lug was showing past the wheel hub?
3. If there was sufficient lug length, did you use your lugnuts or his? His lugs may have a different thread pitch.

·
Registered
820 Posts
id say if the lug nuts didnt go on all the way then they are bottoming out on the stud. sounds like you may need different lug nuts. the wheels should work just fine on the truck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know man, I have no clue. We put the rim on right, but he insists on saying it "didnt fit." I don't remember which lugs we used. All I remember is I tightened them up and he drove down the road with no problems. I will try again today and use both sets of lugs and find the exact problem. I've been researching and there is supposed to be no problem. Just a simple swap from the old rim to the 20 and thats it.

E

·
0 Posts
Yeah, they should fit. Just not sure what he means by saying it "didn't fit". If the lug nuts go all the way down and you can snug the wheel all the way up to the hub, then there shouldn't be a problem.

My only other thought was which lug nuts were used and if they are an open style lug nut (lug threaded end comes through the nut) or acorn style which covers the lug end when installed.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree with maddog on the lug style being your problem, or you could try shorter studs. Ive seen plenty of gen2's with gen3 wheels

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah we will have to try them both. His truck has the open end lugs and I have the acorn lugs. I see the 2nd gens with 20s all the times. I dont know why he wont realize this lol

E

·
0 Posts
There is one other thing to look at. Check the shoulder area (where the nut comes in contact with the wheel hub) to see if they are the same style as well.

Your acorn style nuts may not have been long enough and the lug bottomed out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We swapped em' out and they fit. What had happened was the last time he was looking at one his lugnuts that was longer than the others(he has open ended lugs) and he thought that his stud wasnt poking through the rim enough. So today I made sure that he knew it all was the same. Come to find out you don't need any modification at all to swap Gen3 rims to Gen2s. You will have to keep your Gen2 lugs though because the studs on the Gen2s are smaller than the Gen3s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts