DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a issue with a vibration with my Ram 1500 .. I brought it in and they checked the drive shaft and found it was over welded and a weight was welded on to counter balance the over weld ,, the Drive shaft as out of balance 20 mm and it vibrated at normal drive range .. They also found that my crown & pinion gear was worn very badly and the Crown gear rocked back and forth .. Now I have to replce the drive shaft and the crown pinion gear on the rear end ... the truck has 96,000 klms on it ...

So... 1 st question is .. because the drive shaft was out 20mm ( the vibration ) .. would that of caused the wear on the crown pinion over time ... or was the truck over trailered weight wise ...

2cnd question... how long should a crown pinion gear last in a 2006 ram 1500 with 96,000 klms on it ...

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I really don't know if the balance issue would cause the gear wear, but it surprises me that it was not caught and dealt with earlier. That amount of balance error would be very noticeable. :wow:

IMO, a gear set should last longer than 96K miles. I've done my fair share of pulling heavy trailers over the years, and have not worn out a set of gears from doing so. Having said that, I have an accelerated maintenance schedule I follow to help counteract the severe service. :4-dontknow:

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
The drive shaft imbalance would cause a vibration & likely wear the Pinion gear prematurely & tear up the rear seal in the transmission
The pinion gear wearing irregularly could put pressure on the ring gear & cause the teeth to become worn, you can see it when you pull the rear cover, the teeth would become pointed, like a worn out chain saws teethparts don't cost much, but the labor charges do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzOyWNyEcZs&feature=related

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really don't know if the balance issue would cause the gear wear, but it surprises me that it was not caught and dealt with earlier. That amount of balance error would be very noticeable. :wow:

IMO, a gear set should last longer than 96K miles. I've done my fair share of pulling heavy trailers over the years, and have not worn out a set of gears from doing so. Having said that, I have an accelerated maintenance schedule I follow to help counteract the severe service. :4-dontknow:
Imbalance is the enemy of rotating parts! More than likely both pinion bearings need to be replaced along with the front seal. Is this differential a posi-trak or standard limited slip? I had the carrier bearings replaced at 30,000 miles on my truck under warranty. Unfortunately, they did not address the damage at the time to the ring and pinion teeth. about 5,000 miles later I started hearing niose again, and went to a different dealer who inspected it and replaced the entire unit this time. Since then, I change rear fluid every 15,000 and always use the Mopar additive. Whoever inspects this rearend, make sure they inspect this carefully for additional damage. I have 130,000 miles now with no problems. With proper care, these units should go 200,000 miles without being replaced.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hey Jaimie I'm having a similar problem. Did yours vibrate at specific speeds? Mine at around 40 and 65 the rear end has a rhythmic bouncing up and down. It seems it is getting worse. Thought I lost a wheel weight, have had 3 different shops rebalance with no change, then changed wheels, still no luck. I'm really hoping that this isn't the case because a diff job is going to be like 400-500 bucks. IF it's the driveshaft hopefully everything else is ok. I have no play on yoke...yet...

I had a pinion leak maybe 8k miles ago, had the pinion seal replaced, shop didn't say anything looked weird which made me think of tires and wheels first.

FYI truck has 74k on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts