DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i have a 97 dodge ram, and i want to build to it the 2011 ram runner bumper. does anyone of you have plans, or information about materials and parts i need to start this proyect?
i think it will be look awesome in my ram, and i will share pictures and info needed to do this after i finish....please help me!

·
Banned
265 Posts
To begin, you'll need to box the end of your frame in. Also, you will have to decide where you want to tie the outboard members to the frame. To fabricate a bumper like this you are going to need a saw, hand tools, a decent welder, and a tube bender at a minimum. You will also need DOM Tubing, I recommend 1.75" .120 wall. At a bare minimum tools will cost you $500, plus materials. It's an easy build, I built mine in my driveway. You just need the tools and the experience. There are currently no "bolt on" bumpers on the market for this generation of Ram. If there were, they would probably be garbage anyways. Here's mine. Please ask me if you have any questions. I used to be a part owner of a fabrication shop, and I race.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ADD does have a bolt on bumper for the 2nd gen rams for a cost of $1100. i build the on my truck pretty similar to ADD's bumper. id post pics but cant from my phone

·
Banned
265 Posts
I didn't mention it because it's garbage. It bolts to two 1/8 in tabs, and ties also to the radiator support which is BODY, not frame. Your's is built the same way. The wrong way. Hit anything with that bumper and say goodbye to your entire front end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you Dezertrunner, i will start mine! also, your truck looks awesome!!!!
i attached a picture of mine, hope it upload!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
woah!!! just about to pull the trigger on the ADD runner bumper and i came across this thread....so your saying that the ADD bumper is crap??? looks prety good to me but ill take the advise of thoes more expieranced than me and stay away.....it just sucks cause ive been wanting that bumper for so freakin long...

·
Banned
265 Posts
woah!!! just about to pull the trigger on the ADD runner bumper and i came across this thread....so your saying that the ADD bumper is crap??? looks prety good to me but ill take the advise of thoes more expieranced than me and stay away.....it just sucks cause ive been wanting that bumper for so freakin long...
Run from it and dont look back. It's total garbage. Take a look at some of the pictures. Two of the members bolt onto the body mounts. If you hit anything with that bumper it will destroy your core support, radiator, and everything else attached to it. Structural components should only be attached to frame, not body. ADD is selling a total piece of trash and taking advantage of those who don't know any better. That type of marketing is infuriating to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys! im about to finish my principal bumper tube, and im gonna start with the mounting ones but, im reading what youre saying DEZERT and im worried about going to do it wrong. I wanted to bolt mine instead of weld it, but exactly where the stock bumper was and, watching your pictures is exactly where you weld yours, am i going wrong? please help me, i dont want to mees up! i will attach a picture of where i want to screw the bumper and some of my progres!

regards.

Attachments

·
Banned
265 Posts
Hi guys! im about to finish my principal bumper tube, and im gonna start with the mounting ones but, im reading what youre saying DEZERT and im worried about going to do it wrong. I wanted to bolt mine instead of weld it, but exactly where the stock bumper was and, watching your pictures is exactly where you weld yours, am i going wrong? please help me, i dont want to mees up! i will attach a picture of where i want to screw the bumper and some of my progres!

regards.
What you have so far looks just fine. Bolt it on, weld it on. Take your pick. I just welded it because I knew I never planned on taking it off, and it will tie into the tube chassis later. Welding it on was a lot easier also. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Runner Bumper

About ten years ago i was looking for a Pre-Runner style bumper for 95' Ram and found nothing, so I built my own also.
It cost me about $50. The tubing I stole out of an abondoned building, I used the railings in the stairwells of the bulding. I had a hydrolic hand bender and a 220 arc welder.The only thing I bought was the aluminum plate. I have 4 points of contact, 2 in the front of the frame and then I went further back on the chassis for strength. I made my own mounts out of some thick angle iron, it's just in need of some new paint. There is one problem with that, if i ever want to take the bumper off then I have to cut the tubes that go further back. I had to bend them around the front part of the chassis, so if i unbolt them from their mount the whole bumper does come off in one piece. The problem is that the bars are more narrow towards the back so you can't get it around the front of the chassis that houses the radiator.
But i never had to take it off, so it's cool!!!
Auto part Family car

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, it feels good to have the only Dodge on the Island with a "REAL PRE-RUNNER" not some bolt-on to the stock bumper wannabe!!!
If your gonna do it, do it right!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hear ya, but when your minus one engine cage going to the frame will do. It still beats bolting aftermarket bars to your existing bumper!
Fabricating your own, and making it look like a real runner is what it' all about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts