DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the tranny on my rig or repair/overhaul it. I was wondering what the general concensus is for these units? Have a trusted shop overhaul it and add maybe a Banks TC? Or buy a remanufactured unit? Or is there an option of sliding in a 5-6 speed auto unit without much fuss? (I know the last option would involve programming or possible replacement of the ECU, but I don't know how involved that actually would be).
Thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/48RE_Performance_Rebuild_at_PATC.htm

last two pictures about about the torque converter...which are nice adds too...but not a must.

Transmissions in my opinion aren't hard to rebuild....They do require some tools but the biggest thing is getting them back together in a clean manner...and well without you getting to frustrated them them lol. They are time consuming and have to be perfect. But buy a rebuild kit and a manual on rebuilding it and DEFINABLY put the transgo shift kit in. It's a must. I think everyone on this site will agree on transgo!

If I wasn't so far away I'd rebuild it for ya.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for that info. It gives me a good start. I won't be doing this work myself, but it really helps me know what to expect and ask for. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts