DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 94 dodge ram 1500 v6 2wd and shortly after the tranny is now slipping...I was told I have a A500 tranny is a v8 2wd compatible? Sorry in advance I'm a newb and is my first dodge

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I purchased a 94 dodge ram 1500 v6 2wd and shortly after the tranny is now slipping...I was told I have a A500 tranny is a v8 2wd compatible? Sorry in advance I'm a newb and is my first dodge
It's actually a 46RH transmission which is an A518. How many miles are on the truck and in which gears do you notice it slips? Be sure to check the ATF level, if it's low it will cause slipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive checked the atf its fine and i brought it to a local tranny shop they confirmed it needs a rebuild but that will cost more than what i paid for the truck($1500)...so i was told it was a a500 by the shop so i guess they were wrong? it is not engaging into third and now reverse is acting funny so a tranny is needed, basically my queston is will the v8 tranny work as long as its from a 2wd and its a 94-96? o its got 150,xxx miles on the motor and runs like a champ so i dont want to give up on it yet.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
ive checked the atf its fine and i brought it to a local tranny shop they confirmed it needs a rebuild but that will cost more than what i paid for the truck($1500)...so i was told it was a a500 by the shop so i guess they were wrong? it is not engaging into third and now reverse is acting funny so a tranny is needed, basically my queston is will the v8 tranny work as long as its from a 2wd and its a 94-96? o its got 150,xxx miles on the motor and runs like a champ so i dont want to give up on it yet.
The shop is most likely wrong because chrysler used the A518 in your year truck, the A500 and A518 are very similar because of the case, except the A500 has many ridges on the passenger side.
No you can only use an A518 (46RH) from 1994-1995, 1996 was the introduction of the RE which is a electronic governor and your ECM won't support it, the RH series uses hydraulic gov. The 46rh doesn't use a ECM at all which is why I prefer the RH to an RE also the RH you can snap that sucker behind a 318 from the 70's and it will run. At 150,000 miles the transmission should be fine, most likely the reason it isn't shifting into 3rd gear anymore is because the direct clutch inner lip seal isn't sealing, during the production of these series of transmission chrysler accidentally over machined the grove for this lip seal and so the lip doesn't stick out enough to seal the piston, many rebuild kits and overhaul kits contain a updated seal which has a wider base to compensate for this machine error, you could simply remove the transmission and replace this seal and all is well. I actually know 100% that your seal is no good because this seal is not only responsible for the 2-3 shift but it also is responsible for reverse gear. This seal is only about $1.50! You would need to replace the pump gasket which is $0.69 and you should replace the torque converter seal which is around $2.50. But this is a common and cheap repair, the repair shop is actually going to rebuild your entire transmission which is not required just so they have a reason to charge you 1500 bucks which is crazy, actually the price they quoted you is way to high as I can rebuild a transmission with race performance parts for roughly 750 bucks. I can get even lower if a person wasn't requiring racing parts. But anyways you can do this repair yourself it's very straight forward. DON'T USE Transmission fix products hoping it will swell the seal because you will cause more damage then good. You're better off buying a overhaul kit and replacing all the seals and gaskets, these kits are only 50 bucks and it includes the updated seal. I can promise you that you will feel a significant difference in how the transmission shifts. It will shift better!
If you don't want to do the work yourself I can do it for you and I promise it won't be 1500 bucks lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am some what mechanically inclined so i may be able to do it, if u werent in florida id pay you to have you do it..the seal you are talking about for third is in the tranny right which i have no experiance taking them apart is there maybe a thread on how to do this???

and thankyou so much for the feedback i really hope that a seal will fix it all!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
i am some what mechanically inclined so i may be able to do it, if u werent in florida id pay you to have you do it..the seal you are talking about for third is in the tranny right which i have no experiance taking them apart is there maybe a thread on how to do this???

and thankyou so much for the feedback i really hope that a seal will fix it all!
This seal is inside the transmission. If you lets say have the transmission removed from the truck up on a table, the first thing you would remove is the pump, then you would remove the flex band (kickdown band), then you would pull out on the input shaft, included with the input shaft is the direct drum and forward drum, the direct drum slips over the top of the direct clutch hub, so you would remove the direct clutch drum and then remove the frictions and steels from the drum then compress the piston spring retainer and remove the lock ring, then remove the retainer and the springs then remove the piston, then you would remove the inner lip seal and replace it. I'm sure 100% you can do it, it's very simple however if you're going to go through the labor you might as well get a overhaul kit and replace all the seals because they're probably all dried up and heat damaged. If you are unsure about something you can always consult with me I am more then happy to assit anyone in anyway.

You can always fedex the transmission, the transmission is made of two parts if you remove the OD assembly you can ship just half of the transmission and it would fit in a small box. The total weight of the transmission is 200 Lbs but if you remove the OD it is around 120-140lbs.

But like I said I am more then happy to assist you in doing it yourself, I actually prefer people try it themselves, just to prove how easy it is and how much people get ripped off.

The seal is not just for 3rd gear but it's responsible for reverse gear.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
thanks man for all the help im gunna look up the kit and hopefully ill be able to do it ill message you if i have any problems.....much appreciated!
I can tell you the part number for a overhaul kit, It's actually the same kit I use to rebuild transmissions with. I just request that you send me your vin number so I can lookup exactly what transmission is in the vehicle to avoid any mistakes. Like I said I know their is a 46RH in that year truck however it's always good to be sure. Once you send me the vin number I look it up to make sure it's a 46RH then I can provide you with the proper part number and even a good supplier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.