DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Rammies...

Needed these with some urgency and are on order. (My ill 88yo mom needs
to be able to step in more gracefully, with assistance - regardless of height from ground having a better footing than door sill edge is worthwhile.)

Happy with the product itself. Was told most are rocker mounted not frame mounted.

Rockers seem flimsier than frame mount to me - will there be rocker flex under 'load' (heavier person steps on it)?

I've seen thin rockers & rocker flex before in older vehicles.

This particular product from a well-known mfgr. appears to have multiple mount points along its length (to span a tad beyond the length of 2 doors + pillar etc).

I can return these and go to frame mount if necessary. The guy at the store says he has a version of these on his late model truck and not rickety at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curmudgeon,

I have the N-Fab Podium nerf steps They are rocker mounts and solid as a rock.

Thank you. That's all I needed to know - experience, not salesman's word.

Close to what I ordered (i.e, i got the steps + the plain black tube)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine are also three point connections. You will have a nutsert near the front and will need the supplied clips for the middle and rear,the nuts and bolts for the bottom are kind of a pita but not to bad. Torque to 20 foot pounds without over tightening

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine are also three point connections. You will have a nutsert near the front and will need the supplied clips for the middle and rear,the nuts and bolts for the bottom are kind of a pita but not to bad. Torque to 20 foot pounds without over tightening
Thanks again .. having the shop put 'em on for hundred-something.

I expect they'll perform competently - my worry was just design, rocker panel weakness etc.

Truck is 2018 quad cab Express pkg

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
If after you have them installed, you think that they flex too much

You can go to a Steel Supply place & buy 2 pieces of cold rolled flat stock 1/8th inch thick rectangular plate steel by the width & length needed to put between the rocker panel & the nerf bars.
That will beef up the rocker panel so the weight is distributed over a much larger area & will not allow the rocker panel to tear out, then you just need bolts that are the proper length

·
Registered
414 Posts
For what it's worth,,, I built my own from 4" square tube. Mounts to the four corner cab frame brackets with a crossover tube mounted behind the transfer case skid plate. It all bolts in and is quite sturdy. Finished it in an satin black industrial two part epoxy paint.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine are now installed and I'm plenty happy with fitment/rigidity etc. Would buy again.

The installing shop said to come back after 700-1000 miles for a checkup to see if anything loosened.

Got the shiny black epoxy finish but maybe wished I got the matte/textured black finish.
No biggie.

-Bill

·
Registered
72 Posts
For what it's worth,,, I built my own from 4" square tube. Mounts to the four corner cab frame brackets with a crossover tube mounted behind the transfer case skid plate. It all bolts in and is quite sturdy. Finished it in an satin black industrial two part epoxy paint.
Pics? Would like to see how it turned out...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've bought 3 sets all of 'em frame mounts. I don't trust rockers to hold up to the weight, I can jump up and down on mine without worry of bending body parts. Secondly, if I happen to high side on something it'll bend the bar/bracket before it bends the frame or body part(s) which is what nerf bars were designed to do.
"Step Bars" are another matter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've bought 3 sets all of 'em frame mounts. I don't trust rockers to hold up to the weight, I can jump up and down on mine without worry of bending body parts. Secondly, if I happen to high side on something it'll bend the bar/bracket before it bends the frame or body part(s) which is what nerf bars were designed to do.
"Step Bars" are another matter.
What frame mounts are you running now? I had frame mounted on a 1996 Chevy 1500 and am unable to find frame mounted for my 2019 Classic 1500. Seems everyone has gone to rocker mount now-a-days.

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
996 Posts
Hi Rammies...

Needed these with some urgency and are on order. (My ill 88yo mom needs
to be able to step in more gracefully, with assistance - regardless of height from ground having a better footing than door sill edge is worthwhile.)

Happy with the product itself. Was told most are rocker mounted not frame mounted.

Rockers seem flimsier than frame mount to me - will there be rocker flex under 'load' (heavier person steps on it)?

I've seen thin rockers & rocker flex before in older vehicles.

This particular product from a well-known mfgr. appears to have multiple mount points along its length (to span a tad beyond the length of 2 doors + pillar etc).

I can return these and go to frame mount if necessary. The guy at the store says he has a version of these on his late model truck and not rickety at all.
The reason I went with Molded Mopar boards vs aftermarket is the OEM stuff has wider/thicker brackets.

Some aftermarket that I looked at had thinner narrower brackets - which will crack the pinch welds on the rockers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts