DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my truck 3 years ago, the TPMS light was on. No biggie I thought because I've replaced sensors on a few other vehicles and it goes away. I have had multiple shops do multiple relearns to try and get the "service TPMS system" light to go away. I've always had PSI readings on all 4 wheels and they update correctly if I change the pressure on the tires. Took it to a dealership and they told me that all sensors read except for the driver front. So I bought a brand new sensor and it installed and a relearn done and message still pops up. I pulled the codes and had:

U0147 - Lost Communication w/Gateway (not sure if this is related or not)
C151D - Failure to Locate Sensor
C1580 - Left/Right Side Tire Pressure Sensor Location Undetermined
C0077 - Low Tire Pressure

Because I have always had pressure readings from each tire I just don't know how to explain this issue and why no one can figure it out. The only other thing I can think of is to replace the TPMS module but that just feels like throwing money at the issue hoping it will go away. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well in the hopes it helps someone else with the same issue, I went ahead and replaced the TPMS module and had the dealership reprogram the new unit. No light so far. I'd like to get more time under my belt before I crack out the champagne but it looks promising.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Good news and hope it works for you.
BTW, REP Points Given for checking back in,on an unaswered thread, no less, and letting us know how it turned out.

Just might help another, down the line.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
Moving the wheels from front to back & then doing a couple of driving cycles would have let you know if it was a bad TPMS or not

Glad it worked out for you & i appreciate that you let us know the outcome :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after several months of what I thought was smooth sailing the light came back on. I'm at a loss. I've checked all the sensors, replaced the module, and had it programmed I don't know how many times. I don't know how this is even possible.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
Well that is a head scratcher for sure.

Do you happen to know whether it is the same wheel that you previously replaced the TPMS in ?

I would go to someplace where they only work on tires & rims, Dodge dealerships really don't know anything about TPMS

I use Discount Tire for anything tire related

I just read this article, i did not know that there was so much to understand about the TPMS.

https://www.autoserviceprofessional...ms-tips-to-avoid-issues-and-diagnose-glitches

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
The original equipment TPMS was

Vehicle Fitment: 2013 Ram 2500 | 433 Mhz | 68241067AB OEM Replacment TPMS Sensor
Made by Vendor: Schrader
*Note* Interchangeable with Schrader 28291 TPMS sensor

Dodge; Ram; 2010 - 2013
(1500, 2500, 3500, 2WD, 4WD, Laramie, SLT, Sport R/T, ST, TRX, TRX4 Off Road)

Service Kit #: SK0018

ReLearn Code: CHR-2

Notice: it must have a RUBBER valve stem cap

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that's the problem. I've never had my cluster give me a bad reading on any wheels. All of them read a tire pressure that goes up and down if I add/remove air from the tire. So sensors all seem to function. Each time I just get the "Service Tire Pressure System" warning. I just don't get it.

Discount is usually my go to as well and they've looked at this truck no less than three times during this journey as has Les Schwab and the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good afternoon,

I am having this exact issue, did you ever get this fixed and if so how?

thank you for any information you can provide :)

When I bought my truck 3 years ago, the TPMS light was on. No biggie I thought because I've replaced sensors on a few other vehicles and it goes away. I have had multiple shops do multiple relearns to try and get the "service TPMS system" light to go away. I've always had PSI readings on all 4 wheels and they update correctly if I change the pressure on the tires. Took it to a dealership and they told me that all sensors read except for the driver front. So I bought a brand new sensor and it installed and a relearn done and message still pops up. I pulled the codes and had:

U0147 - Lost Communication w/Gateway (not sure if this is related or not)
C151D - Failure to Locate Sensor
C1580 - Left/Right Side Tire Pressure Sensor Location Undetermined
C0077 - Low Tire Pressure

Because I have always had pressure readings from each tire I just don't know how to explain this issue and why no one can figure it out. The only other thing I can think of is to replace the TPMS module but that just feels like throwing money at the issue hoping it will go away. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport, LTHeaders, S&B CAI, DIabloS T2, HF, PD, UPR CC, RGB UnderGlow9” lift on 37s
145 Posts
Well I have this issue as well. Brand new sensors in my 37s and the read perfect as I have a air pressure tool and use both, both read the same. I was told, however have not had them checked, that when the new sensors are installed, if one is slightly off inside, like crooked, this will cause the light to stay on, no matter if the tires reading.
I’m not sure if this is correct as I haven’t taken the time to get my tires looked at and got use to the yellow light on the dash. Could try that and see.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Well I have this issue as well. Brand new sensors in my 37s and the read perfect as I have a air pressure tool and use both, both read the same. I was told, however have not had them checked, that when the new sensors are installed, if one is slightly off inside, like crooked, this will cause the light to stay on, no matter if the tires reading.
I’m not sure if this is correct as I haven’t taken the time to get my tires looked at and got use to the yellow light on the dash. Could try that and see.
Hello Lyle Longboat,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concern. Unfortunately due to the nature of our team we are unable to assist customers outside of the United States. You can, however, reach out to Canadian Customer care for potential assistance with this process:
1-800-361-3700.
Laura
RamCares

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having the same problems the rest of you four new sensors new module And the light is on intermittently. Has anyone had any luck talking to Dodge about this? Has anyone had any luck talking to Dodge about this?I have ATP MS tool. And I am getting front and rear and determined codes. Hi clear codes and it's better for a couple days then comes back on again but all the sensors are reading pressure

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eric,

Until some new thing to try comes up I've just resigned myself to living with a stupid light on my dash. I recently put some new tires on the truck and noticed that one of the sensors appears not to be OEM but it still provides an accurate read to the system, so I think I'm going to live with it until that sensor dies and then make sure to only go with OEM sensors going forward. Not sure what else to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eric,

Until some new thing to try comes up I've just resigned myself to living with a stupid light on my dash. I recently put some new tires on the truck and noticed that one of the sensors appears not to be OEM but it still provides an accurate read to the system, so I think I'm going to live with it until that sensor dies and then make sure to only go with OEM sensors going forward. Not sure what else to do.
Now that it has warmed up outside it does not seem to continue to be a problem. Of course now that I have said that it will come back on tomorrow! Lol I am using the autel 1 sensors and having good luck with them. I don't know what the cold has to do with my problem and even when the light comes on all the sensors are still reading correctly. I'm stumped....

·
Registered
223 Posts
I believe that is one of the reasons they use nitrogen in the tires, compressor air causes condensation in tires and it shorts out the TPMS modules.

I had my tires dismounted and I requested to see the inside of them and the tires, I wiped them out with a paper towel and it was damp after wiping all 4 tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 2017. Seems the right front reader is faulty but I can't find any information online about where this reader is located around the wheel well.

I know for certain it's not the TPMS in the wheel because discount just moved it from the RF to the LR and the tire moved from RR to RF now has the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the same thing in my diagnostic process, moving wheels and such. The sensor in mine is located on the frame horn, just in front of the left front tire. Just look up from the bottom right in front of the fender liner by the body mount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts