DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I picked up my new '11 Ram 1500 on Thursday and I was finally able to take a look under the vehicle to learn a little more about it and I noticed the driveshaft has a significant amount of rust on it, even on the yoke too. Is this normal on a brand new truck? And I took a look under the hood, theres also quite a bit of dust/dirt settlement, so maybe it sat around for a long while. This truck has 700 miles on it too.

Any insight would be appreciated, I don't know if the dealership should have a look at this already. Thanks!

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Welcome to the forum... Glad to have you.... Did it come with 700 miles on it when you got it? Just wondering if this was a dealer demo and had been driven by staff or if it was a CAP car being driven by Dodge executives??

You may want to speak to the dealership where you bought it... I know in Canada that they have to disclose that information... Good luck... Someone on this forum will definately have an answer for you.... Do you have any pics???

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have any of the driveshaft, but I can obtain some. This vehicle wasn't a demo, I bought it down in Nebraska and drove it down from South Dakota (sister dealerships). This vehicle had about 32 miles on the odometer when I picked it up. But yes, I put all the miles on it since then. Ive had to do a few trips back and fourth 1 hour away

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
I can tell you that when I picked my RAM up it did have a little rust however I didn't have any issues with any dirt under the hood... Might just want to inquire with the dealer where the truck was at before it arrived to their lot....

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
You could remedy this by swapping it for an aluminum one (from a junkyard truck) and lose some weight too :)

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I have noticed that very little of the paint under these Rams was prepped, not even a coat of primer, & the paint was applied very lightly
My rear differential & especially the axle tubes are more bare metal then paint
I have been putting off finding a old closed up service station with a pit or stationary ramps, so i could get under there & do a quick prep & use a flat black or semi gloss rattle can to add some paint
Luckily it does not rain here much

You can see the marks on the axle tubes, where it sat in the cradles at the factory

i would like mine to sort of look like this

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah I noticed the same thing. Very little detail to the underside of mine also. I have 6000 miles. My driveshaft was rusted before I drove it off the lot also. My axle tubes and differential are starting to discolor also.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would suggest getting it rust-proofed and undercoated. Just had mine done by Linex for $500 with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey guys, I picked up my new '11 Ram 1500 on Thursday ....I noticed the driveshaft has a significant amount of rust on it, even on the yoke too. Is this normal on a brand new truck?
There was some rust on the driveshafts of my 4 wheel drive truck too. It's totally normal. I'm in the snow belt in Northern Michigan. What I do is once or twice a year wipe down both the front and rear drive shafts with lightweight oil on a rag soaked with WD-40. It's easy and only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just as GTY points out on his truck, even my '12 Express has some small rusty residu spots, most especially around the differential/axle housing. I live in west Texas, so I don't think salted road film has much to do with it. It just doesn't look like they put much paint on some of the parts and areas under the vehicle. Now, I did notice this also. The parts that have a little evidence of rust residue seem to be the biggest, heaviest components like the rear axle housing. The frame rails and other parts don't show this nearly as much. I'm not too worried about the axle housing rusting away. I'd be more concerned about the body panels and underbed areas of the body. Those look fine on mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
a month or 2 after i bought my truck, i looked underneath and EVERYTHING looks rusty. it was brand new but was on the lot for about a year. my neighbor said it was normal, but if my underside is already entirely covered in rust, how long will it last til it rusts all the way thru? =( i was going to spray the entire underside with sound proofing (like second skin audios spectrum) which will hopefully stop future rusting, but i worry the damage has already been done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have owned over 25 brand new vehicles.

What I have done to the last 5 or 6 is this, take it to a car wash, that has underbody flush. Let it dry completely. I purchase generic Semi-Gloss clear paint, and blast several coats on most surfaces under the vehicle. It still looks good years later. There is no mis-matched colors, or overspray that looks out of place.

Clean, simple and does the job..........low cost too!

Give it a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also purchased a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 in October 2011 which I later found had rust on the driveshaft and some of the larger frame bolts. It only had 7 miles on it and sat on the lot for about 7 months before I bought it. I was told by a few people that because the parts are steel, the rust won't do any harm. I was also told not to undercoat it because it could create more issues by potentially allowing moisture to build up underneath the coating if it's not sprayed correctly

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yep, drive shaft rusty on mine, but you should see the muffler! It looks like a relic they pulled off the Titanic. I can see this muffler rusting out in a year or so. Where's the quality anymore?

Brought my truck in for a scheduled oil change today. Service writer trying to sell me an undercoat job and says Chrysler highly recommends this. What???, your kidding me! I told him after all the troubles with this truck, I won't be keeping it long enough to worry about too much rust.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with you RAMINATOR. From '94 - '97, I was station in Norfolk, Va. Salty air, road salt, hurricanes, & snow. One can of Rustolium flat black on dry metal sealed out all water and air. I sold that truck in 2005, with no rust visible where I had used one can of paint 10 years earlier. Also, I read an article and my Lockeed Martin machinist father in law told me the same thing and that is when installing after market parts that require the use of bolts and nuts, try to avoid carbonized steel nuts and bolts unless they will be touching other carbonized metals. I cannot remember exactly which metal is was (hopefully someone will pipe-in with the answer) but carbonized metals are caustic to other metals as long as they are in contact. If someone knows the answer please jump in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
micar71,

How do you apply the Rustolium? I don't have access to a lift, only ramps, so I don't enough clearance to get under and spray underneath. Do you need to sand the rust off first or do you spray directly over it?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I live in Texas and my truck has a little bit of rust too, no salt on the rods here and I get my truck about a month ago. It was made in 06 December 2011.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts