DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - Just purchased a 2013 Crew Cab Sport in Bright White and am looking for advice for mods. Love the off-road look but outside of trying to navigate Sturgis campgrounds for 7 days/year my off-roading is very limited. I am trying to merge that with my more realistic 25 mile highway commute daily. Here are some questions:

Any must do mods? Seems like everyone is putting in a 2" leveling kit? Anything else right out of the box?

I am definitely doing black wheels and black running boards. Is there a tire size/brand you'd recommend that gets the off-road look and keeps the noise down?

Fender flares?

Stereo upgrades? I am thoroughly disappointed in the stock Alpine system, sounds hollow and tinny. The 07 Silverado Bose system I traded in for it was way better. Don't need it to shake the neighborhood, just sound complete inside the cab.

New to the forum, any input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was told be careful with black running boards as they rust very fast. Never had them so I don't have experience but that's what the installer told me. I want to get some fender flares for sure soon. And do you have the 9 speaker alpine with the sub? Because that is one of the best stock systems I've ever heard.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Sorry, a little off topic I suppose, but considering mods, specifically levelling kits, what's everyone's front clearance measure on your trucks? Mine definately sits higher in the front than my SLT did, I never measured my last truck but I have a picture of it and it definately sits lower than my new truck which aggravated the "rake" look. I went out and measured the front of my new truck and the bottom of the lip(fender) sits at 37 inches from the ground. Haven't measured the rear yet, but the rake is less pronounced. That's with 20's and stock goodyears.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Here's a pic of my last truck. ie: rake IMAG0123.jpg

·
Registered
567 Posts
I was told be careful with black running boards as they rust very fast. Never had them so I don't have experience but that's what the installer told me. I want to get some fender flares for sure soon. And do you have the 9 speaker alpine with the sub? Because that is one of the best stock systems I've ever heard.
Agreed. That is THE best stock system I have ever heard. Hearing stuff in music I never noticed before.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The 2" level put my 2013 ram almost level. A 2.5" would have made it level. I measure all 4 corners and decided on a 2" since I do tow my work trailer and sometimes end up towing a uhaul or something so I wanted to make sure the truck wouldn't be nose high at night when I need the lights.
I went with the molded mud flaps and they do a good job I may get flares later but these keep the mud and rocks off the truck.
I am doing flat black powder coated steps from N Fab.
As far as tires I run a 285/60 r 20 goodyear duratrac. Not loud, looks aggresive, and is good in the mud and rain. You can go bigger. Nitto and Pro Comp have some nice 295/60 all terrain and mud terrain tires as well.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just did a 2.5/ 1.75" rough country kit on my buddy's '12 express. Soon will be ordering it for my '13 sport. Sits perfect!

·
Registered
121 Posts
And do you have the 9 speaker alpine with the sub? Because that is one of the best stock systems I've ever heard.
Definitely agree with this.

Just like K9ENDY said, I'm noticing notes and instruments I've never heard before in songs I've listened to a thousand times.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Definitely agree with this.

Just like K9ENDY said, I'm noticing notes and instruments I've never heard before in songs I've listened to a thousand times.
That is great to hear. I didn't get a chance to listen to the Alpine system when test driving, so I ordered it "blindly". Glad to hear it is worth it. :smileup:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree the sound in the 2013 is quite good.

I wouldn't call it the best though. I've been spoiled by Jaguar and Land Rover sound systems. The new Meridian Surround Sound system in the new models... :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I agree the sound in the 2013 is quite good.

I wouldn't call it the best though. I've been spoiled by Jaguar and Land Rover sound systems. The new Meridian Surround Sound system in the new models... :SHOCKED:
Well, we're Ram owners. We have better taste than to be running around in some dang Jaguar...:hah: :smileup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Getting back to topic, I removed the black tape between the front and rear windows after having the front tinted. I think it looks better with difference from dark tint to white paint. Other than that, I'm waiting for some warmer weather to remove the RAM 1500 decals on the front doors. Also the 2.5" HBS leveling kit soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Install the black running boards yet?
Have a 2013 sport in white also and am very interested in doing the black running boards and black wheels.

Was looking at the 6" trail fx black running boards; any other suggestions???

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I went with the adjustable height Bilstein 5100 front shocks instead of a leveling kit for my Sport. It is more money but it is an upgrade over the stock shocks and it fixes the rake.

I like the sound of the stock Alpine system. I have had $2K-$3K systems in my other vehicles. This is damn good for stock.

I went with black Plasti Dip for my badges but since yours is white I would consider the white Plasti Dip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts