DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just turned 450 miles on my new ram and there is now a click when I push in the brake. The sound is coming from down near the firewall. It is incredibly annoying. Does anyone know what this is? Should I take it back to be fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'm thinking that click is normal. You are hearing the Brake-Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) solenoid (in the steering column). That is what locks the shifter in Park until you step on the brake.

Try it. With foot off brake (trans in Park, engine running) try to shift out of Park (should not be able to). Now slowly press the brake pedal. As soon as you hear the click, you should then be able to shift out of Park.

No need to repair. Normal operation. This exists in all trucks (with automatic trans).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It also happens while driving. I have a 2013 Ram and it doesn't do it at all. Whenever my brake engages it clicks. It's not a soft click either, the passenger can hear it as well. When I bought t, it didn't make the noise. I don't see why it would just start now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine started to make a click sound when pressing the brake pedal a few weeks after I got it. I'm not sure if it's the same click but it used to bother me too. I'm not even sure if it still does it though, either it doesn't or I just got used to it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts