DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Ramsters!

Just got my new 2018 V6 quad cab in "Express" (??) [one step up from Tradesman] trim. Basics - cloth seats,
AM/FM/Sat/USB radio, upgraded paint (that nice steel-tungsten color - forget its name), bedlinen, etc. But I
still get the black grille and bumper instead of body-color fixtures there - easier to fix scrapes & dings.

Moved over from my 2015 Challenger SXT; loved that car, but I'm a big tall guy with a sore lower back & stooping
to get into a low car is for smaller limber guys. I'd rather "drive a sofa" that I slide across into instead of having to
squat down into...

Generally happy with simplicity. Quiet, smooth, tight fit/finish. Driving home from the dealership on the freeway
that evening, I didn't realize I was going 70+ mph things were so smooth. Supremely happy. Sometimes the
simplest things in life are grand, just like a good burger.

QUESTIONS/GUIDANCE, please. Do redirect me to other areas if necessary.

1. LEVELLING - I don't like 'down-rake' with lowered front & prefer an "even" stance. No, I will not be
    carrying heavy loads in rear (barring rare trip with one piece of furniture, slowly, on side streets).

I do see 'levelling kits' advertised - just spacer rings etc. for $100ish.

... went to the local 4-wheeling joint & counter dude told me I needed more stuff poss. including 'control arms'
    & struts? And he wasn't sure about 2018 applications/fitment, so we deferred.

RKIs - what IS the simplest ~1.5"-2" front levelling kit for my ? Assume no heavy loads/high speeds/extreme
    use - just a dude wanting a truck in a different 'stance' that will not be pushing things; assume truck is mostly
    commuter vehicle on smooth roads with 1 or 2 people and maybe some groceries or 2 pieces of overnight
    luggage, etc.

Do I need new shock/struts?
    Just a ring spacer kit?

Variations/pros/cons? ... Was unclear if I was being "sold".

Guidance welcome for low-cost graceful solutions. Don't wanna do this if major changes required.

2. NERF BAR STEPS - Need these with some urgency and are on order. (My ill 88yo mom needs
    to be able to step in more gracefully, with assistance.)

Happy with the product itself. Was told most are rocker mounted not frame mounted.

Rockers seem flimsier than frame mount to me - will there be rocker flex under 'load' (heavier person steps
    on it)? I've seen thin rockers & rocker flex before in older vehicles. This particular product from a well-known
    mfgr. appears to have multiple mount points along its length (to span beyond the 2 door + pillar extent)

3. BASE STEREO UPGRADE - My pkg came with a 'basic' stereo - AM/FM/CD/USB (seems to be a Delphi
    unit). Fine. It is NOT any Uconnect variant, but below the capability of even the most basic UConnect. I
    have no complaint about its sound quality and no need to change speakers.

But there's no bluetooth and I may lean toward a nav unit.

Problem is, install of 'conventional' head units requires cutting a metal bar behind dash, etc!

Are there aftermarket stereos that fit this dash opening without cutting?

Everything Crutchfield lists says, in essence, "major work needed".

4. Is there a microphone "just waiting" in my "smart" backup-display rearview mirror?

Because if a new BT stereo's installed that might be better than a flimsy mic elsewhere...

5. BACKUP CAMERA VIDEO REDIRECTION - the backup camera in the rear view mirror is great, works
    well, etc. Happy bonus. But question...

. . . . can I redirect / 'tee' that video to a bigger NTSC display (say, to a new stereo in dash), or is
    this a proprietary format designed just for special device? [Is the display in r.v. mirror just the
    display, or is it the whole logic that processes the camera signal?]

. . . . can I keep the rear view display on at other times beside just "Reverse" drive mode?

Thanks! Happy RAMing...

·
Registered
788 Posts
First, WELCOME! Lots of great knowledge to be had here on the forum just by asking. As far as leveling goes, if you have a 2 wheel drive I'd use 2" lowering springs in the rear. Takes all of 15 minutes to swap rear springs, no shock change or anything else needed. Especially if you are trying to make it easier for your Mother to get in. Leveling the front is raising higher! That front end is high enough already.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First, WELCOME! Lots of great knowledge to be had here on the forum just by asking. As far as leveling goes, if you have a 2 wheel drive I'd use 2" lowering springs in the rear. Takes all of 15 minutes to swap rear springs, no shock change or anything else needed. Especially if you are trying to make it easier for your Mother to get in. Leveling the front is raising higher! That front end is high enough already.
Hello MOFOGO,
I am trying to do the same on my truck, question: Do you have any info about which brand for rear lowering springs will be the best option on a 1500 crew cab? Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts