DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just went through my first tank of gas and I’m pretty happy, better than I expected.

Details:

2018 2500 Crew Cab 6.4L 4X4 4.10 w/ Anti Spin Differential Rear End

80% City Driving / 20% Highway Driving @ 65 - 70 mph

Hand calculated: 15.02 mpg average

My 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 2WD 3.21 Rear End that I traded in on my new 2500 averaged 12.88 mpg in similar driving

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
It may get even better with each tank of fuel for a while

These vehicles learn your driving style & adjust the engine & the way the transmission shifts accordingly

If you have a teenage son & you let him take the Ram for a night out, when you get back in it, you will notice that it shifts differently & it has to relearn your driving style

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
That's good mileage, I'd be happy with that too. Enjoy that 2500!

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,238 Posts
That's about exactly what we got from our 3500 with the 6.4 when running unladen when it was new. We don't have the 4.11 rear but it is a heavier truck.

Now, at 8000 miles we get right around 16 running empty and about 11 laden with close to max payload and with a ton of wind resistance from an in-bed camper.

As a point of comparison, we get between 15 and 16 running unladen with our 2000 Tundra which is a great truck but has a motor 2 liters smaller and a lot less power. With a camper less than half the weight of our current one we got 10 on a good day.

As yet another point of comparison, I used to get almost exactly 17 mpg with my old 1991 Toyota pickup with the 3 liter V6, and that POS was a total slug.

Internal combustion engine efficiency has improved dramatically over the last 20 years.

And durability is way ahead of where it was when I started driving too. Back then needing to rebuild at least parts of an engine at 60 or 70K miles was not uncommon at all and you'd be lucky if any engine with the displacement of the 6.4 got more than 6 or 8 mpg. With a tailwind.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just amazes me on some of the newer technology, especially in tech advancement of gas engines, and the newer "learning" transmissions.

Very cool stuff to read about and to research.

Currently, my new truck with just over 1k miles is averaging around 16-17 hwy empty, and around 12 mpg in town empty.

Will be interesting to see what the mpg is after my wife's camping trip with the camper and 3 horse fully loaded trailer. I am expecting around 8-10, as she is hauling around 11-12k total weight.

And, of course, that should improve slightly after we get 10k on the truck.

Right now, it is doing a hell of a lot better than our old V10 ever did(except when hauling fully loaded), and considering that we didn't buy it for the mpg.....we're ecstatic so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
still waiting

you look happy beside your new ram kirkcad
mine is on a railcar past illinois it should arrive
before august anyone know how far the train goes into
canada

·
Registered
208 Posts
you look happy beside your new ram kirkcad
mine is on a railcar past illinois it should arrive
before august anyone know how far the train goes into
canada

Glad you'll be getting yours soon. You've been waiting an awfully long time for it, yes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
still waiting

ordered end of march had to waitfor my color
my old 98 was green after 20 years i wanted a silver truck
end of the month will be soon

·
Registered
208 Posts
ordered end of march had to waitfor my color
my old 98 was green after 20 years i wanted a silver truck
end of the month will be soon

Hope you have it in the driveway before then! :smileup:

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yikes, I get 12.88 when I tow with my 1500; maybe I should step it up to a 6.4L and my mileage can go from 17 to 21 avg lol.

Seriously though it sounds like your new truck is better suited to you, less overloaded

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yikes, I get 12.88 when I tow with my 1500; maybe I should step it up to a 6.4L and my mileage can go from 17 to 21 avg lol.

Seriously though it sounds like your new truck is better suited to you, less overloaded

I got slightly better MPG on my 2011 1500 5.7 HEMI, which also had a level kit on it than my 2017 2500 6.4 HEMI.. I can average 14-15 with regular driving, and into the 16s with highway(unloaded). When the winter blend gas comes out I lose 1-1.5 MPG though.. And I've also noticed it's a very finicky engine because it will get it's best MPG when the temps are 50-85f, below that and above that range it suffers a bit..

Strange observation for sure, but still an amazing engine. I love the truck overall and plan on keeping it for as long as I can which is why I went with the 2500 without getting many features. I just wanted a truck that lasts and I think the 6.4 will do that...:smileup:

·
Registered
19 Posts

Almost 13mpg towing is great, what are you towing?

When we had a pop up camper I would get 15 mpg towing with my 2010 1500 with the 5.7 and 3.21 rear end. But with our new 5k bumper pull camper the best I got was 10.4 mpg and the worst was 7.3 mpg.

I’ve read that 8 spd transmission does wonders in the 5.7 compared to the 5 spd in my 2010. Towing Capacity was also increased by about 1k lbs on the 5.7 with 3.21 and 8 spd transmission vs the 5 spd with 3.21’s.

I got slightly better MPG on my 2011 1500 5.7 HEMI, which also had a level kit on it than my 2017 2500 6.4 HEMI.. I can average 14-15 with regular driving, and into the 16s with highway(unloaded). When the winter blend gas comes out I lose 1-1.5 MPG though.. And I've also noticed it's a very finicky engine because it will get it's best MPG when the temps are 50-85f, below that and above that range it suffers a bit..

Strange observation for sure, but still an amazing engine. I love the truck overall and plan on keeping it for as long as I can which is why I went with the 2500 without getting many features. I just wanted a truck that lasts and I think the 6.4 will do that...:smileup:
Here in south Texas it’s been 95 - 100+, so getting 15 mpg with pretty much mostly all city driving, I’m happy. I did get 16.7 mpg on a 60 mile stretch of highway with cruise set to 65 mph according to the Lie O Meter though. lol

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Almost 13mpg towing is great, what are you towing?

I don't own a trailer, so it depends; shape has as much to do as weight does with your mileage. I've got in the 13s with a Uhaul box before

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been waiting 5 months for my 2500, still didnt build yet. Talked to dealer, was told all trucks coming from mexico are taking 6 or 7 months. Doesn't matter if it's a special color or a special package. They are just way behind building them. Even the ones that the dealer shows as in transit on the dodge website are 6 or 7 months. I hope I can get 15mpg with the 4.10 gear I ordered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just went through my first tank of gas and I’m pretty happy, better than I expected.

Details:

2018 2500 Crew Cab 6.4L 4X4 4.10 w/ Anti Spin Differential Rear End

80% City Driving / 20% Highway Driving @ 65 - 70 mph

Hand calculated: 15.02 mpg average

My 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 2WD 3.21 Rear End that I traded in on my new 2500 averaged 12.88 mpg in similar driving[/QUOTE

What type of gas are you using? Premium or regular

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've been waiting 5 months for my 2500, still didnt build yet. Talked to dealer, was told all trucks coming from mexico are taking 6 or 7 months. Doesn't matter if it's a special color or a special package. They are just way behind building them. Even the ones that the dealer shows as in transit on the dodge website are 6 or 7 months. I hope I can get 15mpg with the 4.10 gear I ordered.
Wow, I hope you get it soon.

I would imagine getting 15 mpg with the 4.10’s will depend on where you live. I live in south Texas where it is VERY flat, did I mention it is VERY flat here? lol

In all highway driving I expect I’ll see 16 - 17 mpg @ 65 mph and 14.5 - 15 @ 70-75 mph.

The above unloaded of course. I have not towed with it yet, have a camping trip coming up near the end of August and then I’ll see how it does compared to my 2010 1500 with the 5.7 and 3.21 rear end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
6.4 mpg

I have a 6.4 with 4.11 gears and I have been impressed with the mileage. I average 17-18 on the highway at 70mph. Town is 13. When I pull I average 8-10. I know some with diesels don't get that much better. And some about the same. Very happy. Have 7600 miles and don't regret ordering the 6.4 . My dealer almost paid me to take a 5.7 off his lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any status on mileage after pulling?? I am looking at buying a 2016 6.4l hemi and one friend told me it was horrendous on fuel while towing which got me concerned about buying it, thought diesel would be better esepecially for mountain driving but I’m still torn about the overall costs involved.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Any status on mileage after pulling?? I am looking at buying a 2016 6.4l hemi and one friend told me it was horrendous on fuel while towing which got me concerned about buying it, thought diesel would be better esepecially for mountain driving but I’m still torn about the overall costs involved.
Gear ratio could have an impact on MPG. I have the 4.10 gears a 4x4 with my 6.4L 3500 SRW and I get about 8-9 towing with it. You'll get a couple mpgs more with a diesel. There are other factors though. The diesel prefer to heat up and run a while(longer runs than the store), and I use my truck around town too, so I preferred the 6.4.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts