DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Ram 1500. New 5100 all around.

Now has a very subtle and simple rattle over small bumps and tar strips. Bigger bumps it does not happen or it's not felt.

FIRST - I did read the instructions and search and made absolutely sure that the washer went under the hat and then the nut over the hat. Seems like I should type that twice.

On each strut, I left 3 threads showing above the nut. Seems pretty silly to put a torque value on that nut because I need to put a allen key in the shock shaft and use an offset wrench to turn the nut or a hexed plug socket, so I just looked at threads to ensure it was all the way on instead of torque. But... when clamps came off, everything was tight AF.

Torque seems silly on that nut anyway because doesn't it depend on the spring compressors and where they are?

I suppose even if that nut is tight when struts out, the weight of truck could change things and leave a gap?

How far should that nut go down? Any way to know that is the issue before tearing it all apart again? Anyone suggest the rattle could be from somewhere else? Pure butter before the 5100 went in. It's magic carpet now except that f*&$%ng rattle.

BTW - sway bushings are mashed with slight bulge on either side. I don't think that's it.

I'd just like to hear someone tell me where else to look first or tell me I'm really stupid because it takes way more than 3 threads.

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
First thing to try is tightening that top nut further without jacking up the truck. The weight of the truck can very frequently mean that the torque you applied with the strut assemblies out of the truck just isn't adequate once installed..
If you can't get them any tighter w a pass through socket and allen key, try an impact gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UGH.

I can see with truck weight, a space between nut and hat. So I bottomed out threads, but there is still a space. It's still loose. Both sides.

5100 is set to one ring down for 2.1" level.

Not too sure where I could have messed up assembly for space to be left. With threads bottomed out, it's prob .050" clearance to hat I'd guess. Thinking about putting a couple washers in and tightening down. But.... what the heck??

See vid after threads bottomed out, nut still clearanced over hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF26VB27FvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF26VB27FvI

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm all set.

The nut didn't bottom out. The threads had buggered from being loose and it felt bottomed out. I pulled the nut and could see the threads were buggered, put 2 washers between nut n hat and it tightened down.

Titties all around now.

Should be SOP to check nut from top from top after truck weight is down. Now I know...

http://oi67.tinypic.com/1496x5s.jpg

·
Registered
937 Posts
This was the issue with my driver side when installing the 5100's. To tighten we went in from the top through the engine bay with an impact gun and just gave it hell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts