DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any predictions for the new 2014 2500 6.4 L Hemi MPG...specifically in a Power Wagon model? I've read current owners are getting 15 MPG on the highway. Considering the 6.4 L is larger than the 5.7 L, it may require more fuel...but it will also utilize the MDS, which may make it equivalent in terms of MPG to the current 5.7 L. I'm predicting it is likely the same, if not a little less than the 5.7 L. What is everyone's thoughts of the MDS on 6.4 L? I'm under the impression the the 5.7 L in the 2500s don't utilize the MDS. Is it a reliable system for HD pickups? Thank you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The cars are barely getting 20 mpg so i could see less then 15 in its future. MDS doesn't help around town in a large heavy truck. In my 1500 i got better around town with the MDS disabled. On a long trip it my do something but who knows. Since the 66 has a different final gear then the last trans it my help a little.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It should get the same gas mileage or better as a similar one with a 5.7 because of the extra torque/power. And I'm sure it willl get better mileage than the 5.7 while under load...most likely what it's meant for.

·
Banned
817 Posts
The Ford and Chevy 6.2L comparable engines regularly deliver 12 mpg real world mileage. You can expect something similar to that fuel mileage with the Dodge 6.4L. I had a GM 6.2 and it delivered average of about 12.5 mpg. It was very thirsty.

Additionally, the 6.4 is being fitted with the 'old' technology 6 cylinder transmission. Ford and Chevy have a similar old 6 speed which does not add to fuel economy as does the new 8 speed transmission.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'll chime in. I have a 2012 Power Wagon. I get about 12-13 daily, driving to and from work. It's about 32 miles round trip, with 2/3 cityish and 1/3 highway. It's usually closer to 12 mpg. 15 is lucky on the highway. I got 15.5 from Cincinnati Ohio to Sandusky Ohio (220 miles on way). That was being easy and going between 70-75mph. This is also flat land. No big hills or anything. Most aren't quite seeing 15.
I didn't like the MDS one bit on my 1500. I never used it, got better mpgs. I hope the new 6.4 doesn't have it.
I would hope that even though the bigger 6.4 puts out more horses and torque, that it will be as good if not better. Reason being is the Power Wagons are heavy trucks. Plus, it won't just but the same 6.4 they put in the cars. It is reworked if you will to be used as a HD motor in a big truck, much like the 5.7 is different than in the 1500s. Not a lot, but I do know they tweak them a bit so as to be better in the bigger truck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The cars are barely getting 20 mpg so i could see less then 15 in its future. MDS doesn't help around town in a large heavy truck. In my 1500 i got better around town with the MDS disabled. On a long trip it my do something but who knows. Since the 66 has a different final gear then the last trans it my help a little.

I dont agree... I have a 2012 300 SRT and if I am on cruise control at 70 on the highway, I see about 25mpg maybe 23.5 in a headwind

That being said, the key to MPG in the HD is if they set the threshold high enough on the MDS so it will allow MDS to stay on longer because an HD truck @ 70 is a ton of weight and wind resistance. Good think about the MDS in my 300 is it will still stay on to about 80-81mph before the car needs the whole motor.....

·
Registered
581 Posts
Wildcard, where did you hear they were putting MDS in the HDs. I know they haven't because of what they are designed to do, which is haul and tow. From what I gather, it shouldn't happen, that would suck. And it isn't just about the difference between the 5.7 and the 6.4, it has to do with gear ratio. The current and past Power Wagons have 4:56 gearing in the rear. The 2014 Power Wagon gets a 4:10 gear. Lower gear should give some better mileage, but yea. It will be better at higher speeds with the 4:10, but hey, I like mine the way it is. Sure I'd love better mpg, but not what I bought it for.
Anywho, just my opinion, please take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have the Hemi in my 2012 CC 4x4 HD with the 4.10 rear end. No way does it get 15 mpg unless downhill. I guess if you drove exclusively on flat land, maybe. But not on the hills of Western PA. For reference, I previously got 17.5-18 mpg on my 2009 Hemi 3.92 1500 4x4 Ram QC. The extra weight of the HD + the lack of a front axle disconnect hurt the mpgs.

The new 6.4 comes with MDS. It is stated clearly in the press release.

■Available 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 delivers best-in-class 410 horsepower (306 kW) at 5,600 rpm and 429 lb.-ft. of torque (582 N•m) at 4,000 rpm, and features VVT with Fuel Saver cylinder deactivation

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 2014 Power Wagon gets a 4:10 gear.
4.10 gears, Wow! That is just another reason why I will likely purchase a 2013 Power Wagon! That combined with the fact that I don't want a rear end coil spring suspension, and a newly introduced engine. Give it a few years of real world testing and I might think otherwise. I can't give up the reliability of 5.7 L Hemi, leaf springs, and 4.54 gears.

Yeah the MDS on the 6.4L was announced during the press release.

Numerically higher gears don't always mean less gas mileage. I've actually read 1500 owners with 3.92 gears getting better MPGs than owners with 3.55 gears. So topgun, I wouldn't think it's impossible for an 2500 HD with 4.56 gears to get better MPG than an HD 2500 with 4.10 gears. Combined with the fact that the Power Wagon has taller stock tires likely puts it's Hemi engine at a fairly fuel efficient RPM at highway speeds (so an equivalent gear ratio would be a number slightly less than 4.54). I would tend to think that stock 3.73 gears on an HD 2500 would slightly bog down the Hemi engine and it might actually get less MPG than it would with 4.54 gears. Sure the engine is turning faster, but it's also under less load with numerically higher gears. I don't have any of my own experience, it's just from what I've read and heard from owners who have had both trucks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You are absolutely correct. Mine bogs with the 4.10's in 6th. Can't imagine how bad it would bog with the 3.73's.

·
Registered
581 Posts
topgun, Cool, I'm glad you showed me that. I just hadn't seen that. Thank you for pointing it out. Either way, I didn't use it on my 2010 1500 when I had it. I didn't like it. I just used the column shifter.
I agree though, I would wait for a bit. The only thing I can think of is with the coil suspension there should (should) be less axle hop in snow or sand, but that can be cured by airing down.
Anywho, I love the Power Wagon. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody out there that has a ram 2500/3500 with a 6.4 hemi and 3.73 gears. What kind of mpg are you getting. I'm looking at trading up to a 2014 Ram 2500 mega cab with 6.4 Hemi and 3.73 gears. Anybody hauling a 5th wheel with a mega cab, just wondering if you've had any problems with the RV being closer to the cab.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm getting 16.5 mixed driving, highway and hills. 12.5 stop and go city. same milage I got with my 2012 1500 longhorn 5.7 hemi.
I have a AEM dry air filter and Mufflex with Magnaflow exhaust. I have no dought I could get 18mpg level highway doing 60mph. The only problem is I don't drive 60mph. As soon as you start doing 75 or 80 it drops to 16mph.

·
Registered
712 Posts
6.4 sounds sweet for sure. Not sure I could handle the MPG though.

I wish they hadn't made the average MPG indicator blue. Hard to read IMO.
Anybody out there that has a ram 2500/3500 with a 6.4 hemi and 3.73 gears. What kind of mpg are you getting. I'm looking at trading up to a 2014 Ram 2500 mega cab with 6.4 Hemi and 3.73 gears. Anybody hauling a 5th wheel with a mega cab, just wondering if you've had any problems with the RV being closer to the cab.
I've got the 2014 Laramie crew cab with 8' bed, 6.4, and 3.73's. Hand figuring MPG is right at 16 with equal driving in town and highway up to 65 MPG on that tank of gas. Only 1800 miles on truck and hoping for 17 MPG highway when it is broken in. I tow a bumper pull camper at 7500 lbs. with the ATV in the bed at another 800 lbs. Pulling the high mountains of Colorado I averaged 8.9 MPG hand figured. Make sure you get a slider 5th wheel if your going to use the mega cab with the short box.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Okay, here goes.

I have 2014 2500 CC 4X4 long bed Big Horn with 6.4 and 3:73 gears.

Changed the exhaust to a Mufflex with Magnaflow muffler. Added about 2 mpg. I get over 15 mpg in and around town, if I'm not pulling a trailer of any kind. I haven't tried highway yet but was getting 17+mpg running 68 mph.

I do wish I had ordered the 4:10 gears so when I pull my 5th wheel I would have a little more power. It is passable but more power is good.

I also run with about 1500+ pounds of tools, parts, materials, etc in the bed of my truck all the time.

I can hear when the MDS kicks in, and mileage is good while it is kicked in, but with the roads going up and down it doesn't stay kicked in for long.

I am getting better mileage with my 2500 with the 6.4 than I did with my 1500 with the 5.7, plus it pulls a lot more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts