DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the planning stages for a new 5.7 vvt build for my 1500.
Already have installed the truck 6.4 cam and did port polished heads in my truck 3 years ago so not going to have a bunch of newbie questions by me on this thread. Mostly going to be a bit more technical with weights and measurments
Bought some 6.4 scat pack valve springs that are suppose to be able to handle .625 lift
Part # 68277306aa single springs that are suppose to be part of mopar performance scat pack upgrade for the 6.4 cars.
New springs weigh 92 g vs old 5.7 spring 97g
Free hgt 2.41 vs old 2.20
8 wraps of wire vs 7.5
.170 thick ovate style rod vs .19 round
.235 between coils vs old .18
1.29 od bottom vs 1.31
.084 Id is same top and bottom, i think the stock valve retainer is too loose side to side , i am looking at pac racing r333 as possible upgrade.
At 1.5 inch compressed there is approx .010 more room between coils on new springs
At fully compressed, both springs are surprisingly close at 1.32 old and 1.33 for new(probably because of the more wraps) i could still get a .005 feeler through one spot on new springs too
I do not have psi spring loads or anything as i dont have that tool but if someone can do that for me THANK YOU. This spring was only $7 cad. So i think its a winner if installing the 6.4 car cam with .575 lift or up to .600
Also started working on another set of eagle heads. Surprised that when i cc'd the combustion chambers most came in at 69 ccs. Everything that i read says 65???
Lots more to follow.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found part # 5038815ab, redye/demon valve spring retainer, cheap so i ordered a couple to check out and weigh. This is a different part # then standard hellcat and 6.4 5.7 motors. Hoping its a little lighter and fits good with performance springs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little ways away from camshaft purchase, but its the major part of this engine build.
Some options ive come up with.
Jay greene 0.5ll
Comp cams hrt stage 1 #201-300-17
Cam motion custom grind. Thinking .515-525 lift and 208intake and 220 exhaust.? Lsa 115+2 advanced
Mmx nsp, non mds no tune req. Found specs on challertalks forum.
Ams racing cam stage 1 low lift. Duration. 206/220 lift .52x/.52x 115lsa
Looking for pretty much for the max cam i can install without having to install the phaser limiter or a tuning issue, because i am no where near a good tuner. Stock convertor unless i can find a really good deal on the next level up.
Lots of options and they are very close but any help narrowing down would be appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i think the dodge demon valve retainers are a bust.
Main issue is valve keepers poke out the bottom of the retain when installed on valve. The id at the bottom measures .4045 new vs .3840 old
11 grams for new vs 8.5 grams original
1.038 od new vs .8965 old
Id for valve spring same at .6195
Height almost same .3410 new vs .3275 old.
I believe that the valve keeper lock angle is different or different thickness. I know the demon uses a different keeper, not the triple bead lock style.
Only plus is the bigger od flange covers the spring better for control?.
Oh well. New intake valve and guides should be here this week. Exhaust valves are all polished and lapped, the backs are also swirl polished now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jobber intake valves showed up today melling part# v3194. Cost $6 cad each
Weight oem old 111 grams, 96 grams new
Quite a bit of a difference, the new valves have a deeper dish on the combustion face
2cc of water old, 3.5cc of water new. Will drop overall compression .2 ?
Also they need a bit of blending on the back to smooth air flow.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered some ls7 6.2l valve retainers gm #10166344
Exactly the same as the dodge demon retain number. I mean the exact.
Same weight, color, markings, same issue with the retainers falling out the bottom, same od, id. Everthing.
Obviously mopar and gm are buying from same place.
I have 1 other part number coming in next week to try out
Got a ls7 valve spring too, but need to check spring pressures 1st before i would think about using it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Confirmed tonight that the new intake valves indeed do increase combustion chamber volume approx 2 cc. 71cc total now.But not too worried about effect on compression ratio or hp, found a couple websites state that only should lose approx 4-8 hp 1, 2 percent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts