DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 11 Ram (7000 km) and already have tiny spots of rust on the front bumper! The dealership says it is rock chips and will not fix it. I called customer service canada and got no satisfaction there either. I guess I will have to go ahead and buy a new bumper - so my question is where do i go about it and is it possible to get a plastic one? to match the grey two tone on my outdoorsman? Suggestions please!

·
Registered
248 Posts
whatever you do dont buy a new one. I'm going to guess its a chrome bumper? I had the same issue and the dealership told me the same thing, so I called Chrysler customer service and explained as politely as possible that it was unacceptable for a 2000km truck to be rusting.
They will open a ticket on your issue and have the dealership try and buff out the rust. it might work, but after a week it will be back, at that point call Chrysler customer service back and they will replace your Bumper!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an Outdoorsman also, which have painted bumpers. I got the front bumper (headlights, fogs,hood too) covered with 3M protective film. This stuff works really well. I have done it to other vehicles in the past and have had a couple of impacts that penetrated the film but still did not penetrate the paint.
I would get the spots touched up, then protect it.
Anyone remember seeing some of the the last generation Ford pickups that had painted bumpers, many of those are running around with completely rust covered front bumpers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
wow, I didnt even see the sentence where you already called customer service. :4-dontknow: end of the day what can I say......

Any window tint shop or sign shop should have the 3m paint protection.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Any bodyshop or paint supply store should have no problem getting you the clear 3M protective film. Dont buy any of the cheezy junk protection film off ebay, its worthless. (unless its 3M)
The 3M stuff is 4mil to 6mil thick. (the junk on egay is only 2mil thick = WORTHLESS)
I installed some under each mud flap too, so the flaps dont rub thru my fender paint.
It works real good on rocker panels, door jams, kick panels etc etc etc.
Make sure the surface where you`re applying the film is very clean.

3M also makes some really good wax an grease remover.
Use it to prep before 3M film gets applied. Heatgun works great to apply the film too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
3M MYLAR film is what you're talking about, your local Fastenal can also get it from 3M.

I'm just curious how rock chips on your front bumper are your fault? Shouldn't the wheel well liner protect from any damage you would inflict on the truck unless you buried the front end in a gravel pile?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that was my point exactly. I am going to call Chrysler again this week - but I have a feeling it won't go my way. How much is a new bumper?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts