DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All - New guy here. Been lurking for a long time. Awesome forum!

I'm looking to buy a 2012 4x4 QC in either ST or Outdoorsman flavor within the next few months & can't decide for the life of me which motor to get. Current situation: Truck will be used for occasional commuting duties, hauling a family of six with gear into the mountains for camping, solo exploring of new trails, hauling wood/Home Depot loot and the like. I live at 7,000 ft elevation FWIW.

...Given that, I can't decide between the 4.7 or HEMI. I'm not a power junkie and I'm not an MPG hag. My current daily ride is a KLR that gets a real 57 mpg and puts about 32hp to the street (on a good day), so either motor will put me into friggin Millenium Falcon territory power-wise.

My questions have to do with the construction and longevity/strength of both engines as I plan to keep the truck until the wheels fall off. Also, given the type of driving I do mostly, I want the motor that will stand up best to those conditions i.e. slow(er) speeds requiring torque. I've Googled A LOT and haven't really found anything comparing the two.

1. Are both engines rated to the same life/miles?

2. Does one use stronger/better quality components than the other?

3. Would either one tolerate high desert summer heat better? Assuming regular oil changes/maint. for both.

4. Which one could be considered more "trouble-free"?

These are just a few questions that I can think of right now.

Thanks!

* Forgot to add that the truck will have 3.92 LSD.

·
Registered
171 Posts
as far as i know the dependability of both motors depends on the owners. If you treat it right doing the standard maintenance ether one should last as long as you want to keep it. With the question of the operating conditions all you have to do is put synthetic in and it will help the ability of the engine to operate in an extreme temperature. The only thing about the new trucks is the new 6 speed automatic they are still new and chrysler is still getting the quarks worked out. ...my vote is get the hemi if you are going to go in debt get the most bang for your buck!

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
I've owned both engines, the 4.7 in an 08 Dakota and the HEMI in my current RAM. I can't answer your question on longevity however both engines seem to have been built around the same technology. The HEMI however has way more power and with MDS can actually get better overall milage than the 4.7. IMHO a more powerful engine usually lasts longer since it does not have to work as hard. It's also nice to know the extra power is there if you need it. You have to be happy with your decision since you have to live with it for a long time. I'd say go for the HEMI just so you avoid saying "Gee I should have got the HEMI".

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
i would go with the hemi

more power, you always need that :) ,.. also i dont think you would really se a difference in gas milleage between the two,

dont know about the 4.7 but the hemi has the 4 cyl fuel saver mode,...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys. What about all the plastic bits & pieces on the HEMI? Seems like a cost-cutting measure to me......any reports of regular failures. Again, I'm just looking for the engine that's going to last the longest.

I personally prefer more of the old-school simplicity of the 4.7 design. I would rather not have MDS, just something else to potentially go wrong.

J

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Power:
I have the 4.7L and my brother and good friend have the hemi, and I have driven them all. Of course, the hemi has more power and is faster. I believe you only NEED the hemi if you are a speed freak or do heavy towing. The 4.7L is more than adequate (even in my quad cab with 3.55's). With 3.92's it'd be even better. I'd even say my truck is "quick".

Gas mileage:
The gas mileage is about the same highway (~20mpg at 70mph) but the 4.7L gets slightly better city. Almost all my tanks average right around 17-18 mpg and that's almost all city.

Durability:
I believe that both engines will run the same mileage, etc.... assuming they are taken care of. They are different in many ways though. If you do heavy towing with the 4.7L it will most likely not last as long as the hemi would with the heavy towing because it'd be working harder. Other than that I'd say they should last equally as long. The hemi is a single cam pushrod engine (like most old school engines). It also has MDS (4 cylinder mode) when cruising which helps it get good hwy mpg. It also has variable valve timing I believe. This is all great, I do have concern that these two things could cause issues later in life, but I will admit I don't know much about how they operate. I just am a believer that simpler = more reliable. The 4.7L is a SOHC engine, non pushrod. IMO the 4.7L is just a little simpler. They are both iron block, aluminum head engines, with 2 spark plugs per cylinder. I will say this though, the 4.7L utilizes a "crank girdle" instead of individual main caps. This makes the bottom end nearly bulletproof...I don't believe the hemi utilizes this, but am not positive.

I use my 4.7L for light to medium duty towing, daily driving, heavy hauling, and even run it down the drag strip sometimes. The hemi is not necessary as the 4.7L is enough, but if you plan on doing heavy towing or going very fast you'd probably want the hemi.

Good luck, you'll love either engine!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Both engines have many "plastic" parts, like the intake manifolds, but these have been around for awhile and are not problematic. Both engines are very reliable. You may find on google some claimed common issues with the 4.7L such as sludge buildup and not lasting a long time, but keep in mind that is most often due to poor maintenance. Also, that is referring to the pre 2008 4.7L. In 2008 the engine was pretty much completely redesigned and I have not really seen anyone complain about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Power:
I have the 4.7L and my brother and good friend have the hemi, and I have driven them all. Of course, the hemi has more power and is faster. I believe you only NEED the hemi if you are a speed freak or do heavy towing. The 4.7L is more than adequate (even in my quad cab with 3.55's). With 3.92's it'd be even better. I'd even say my truck is "quick".

Gas mileage:
The gas mileage is about the same highway (~20mpg at 70mph) but the 4.7L gets slightly better city. Almost all my tanks average right around 17-18 mpg and that's almost all city.

Durability:
I believe that both engines will run the same mileage, etc.... assuming they are taken care of. They are different in many ways though. If you do heavy towing with the 4.7L it will most likely not last as long as the hemi would with the heavy towing because it'd be working harder. Other than that I'd say they should last equally as long. The hemi is a single cam pushrod engine (like most old school engines). It also has MDS (4 cylinder mode) when cruising which helps it get good hwy mpg. It also has variable valve timing I believe. This is all great, I do have concern that these two things could cause issues later in life, but I will admit I don't know much about how they operate. I just am a believer that simpler = more reliable. The 4.7L is a SOHC engine, non pushrod. IMO the 4.7L is just a little simpler. They are both iron block, aluminum head engines, with 2 spark plugs per cylinder. I will say this though, the 4.7L utilizes a "crank girdle" instead of individual main caps. This makes the bottom end nearly bulletproof...I don't believe the hemi utilizes this, but am not positive.

I use my 4.7L for light to medium duty towing, daily driving, heavy hauling, and even run it down the drag strip sometimes. The hemi is not necessary as the 4.7L is enough, but if you plan on doing heavy towing or going very fast you'd probably want the hemi.

Good luck, you'll love either engine!

Thanks Man, good info!

:smileup:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
from what I have seen the Hemi is as good on fuel as the 4.7L, considering dodge often offers no charge hemi's then why not?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Both are good

I had the 4.7 in my 2006 Dakota and now the Hemi in my RAM. Both are great. The Hemi has more power however and seems to get better mileage, although I'm still on my first tank of gas.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have had both the 4.7 in my 2003 Dakota 2WD and the Hemi in my current 09 Ram 4x4. Both engines are strong and will have no problems doing what you are wanting to do (especially with the newer version of the 4.7). Amazingly enough, I actually get better gas mileage with the Hemi. Even with it being a full size truck, a quad cab, and four-wheel drive I get the same or better gas mileage (and that is hand-calculated).

At the end of the day, I would say go with the Hemi. The 4.7 is a great motor, but I have heard more people say they wish they would have gotten the Hemi; I have yet to hear a Hemi owner say they wish they would have gotten the 4.7.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2007 1500 Quad with the 5.7 Hemi.

City / Highway is the same for both (14/17) thanks to the Hemi's Multi-Displacement Engine.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^ the 4.7L is actually 14/19, but I get more like 16-18/20-23. That's with a tuner on 93 though. It went up about 1mpg with the tuner. I'm also in florida, with no hills.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If your not worried about the power and MPG's think about this....A Ram with a Hemi will have better appeal and value if you ever decide to sell or trade it.

Even if you don't need the power you will be happy you have it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ive had a 03 qdcab 4.7l and now I have a 5.7l 08' qdcab. The 4.7l seemed like it was over working in that big of a truck. Cant be happier with the 5.7l. better gas mileage and way more power. The 4.7l never gave me a problem though. Just no power.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had both of the engines in question.... both are great engines but the 4.7L has been known to have injector problems once you break 60 000 mile mark! I get much better fuel consumption with my hemi than i did with both my 4.7L's mind you they were both awd grand cherokees... last but not least in terms of modification you have more options with the hemi!

·
Registered
209 Posts
in theory, all things being equal, the bigger engine should last longer. Id definately go for the HEMI. If your gonna have a v8 truck, might as well make more power than most cars out there

·
Registered
54 Posts
i got an 2003 QC 4.7L pushing 200k - still lots of power. Am I happy - of course. Would I buy it again - not so sure 'cause it doesnt have a HEMI.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts