DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i ordered some new long tube pacesetter headers i hope i made the right decision, thoughts/advise anyone??

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have a friend that has them on his truck and there great. Im sure you will have to have an exhaust shop fit them ip to you existing pipes but its well worth it. Are you planning true duals?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe get true duels down the road a bit but probably just stick the the magnaflow i have now..
on the that topic would i have to changes the whole exhaust system for true duels? or could i modify what i have?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
You could have your Y turned into an X, buy to bullet mufflers have the new mufflers welded in place near where the big single is and use the stock tailpipes. That would py be the cheapest/easiest way to do duals.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats something i will probably look into down the road, but for now i'll be using my current exhaust.

is there any advice for when i install the new headers? things i need, can i do it my self or do i take it somewhere , any tips would be greatly appreciated, im no mechanic but i can pull wrenches and have fairly good common sense, so if this is something that can be done at home id much rather do it my self then to pay someone, and i do have access to a garage bay with a hoist on sundays

thanks

oh and im thinking about going the fastman route, is there any advantage of buying from him new or just send him my tb? research says there no point of going with a bigger tb if there is no major engine mods..cams ports etc

·
Registered
220 Posts
My biggest piece of advice is don't ask if it's a good purchase after you've made the purchase... lol. Good luck with the install though!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Im not too familiar with the 05 trucks... I would start here though.

1.Disconect the battery

2. I put my truck on jack stands to get it way off the ground its nice to have the extra room. And removed the front wheels.

3. Remove the front wheel wells this will give you a ton of access to the manifold/headers

4. Now the fun begins i hope your current catback is not welded in cuz if it is then you might be doing some cutting. Remove the cat back starting from the rear making your way to the front.

5. If you made it this far then, you need to remove your stock y-pipe and dont forget to unplug the 02 sensors first!

6. If it will all fit put that exhaust you removed in the bed cuz you will need to get a local shop to fit it up to your new headers.

7. Unbolt and remove your dip-stick its bolted to the block on the driverside have fun with that!

8. Unbolt and remove the stock manifolds should be 10mm bolts again the worst side is the driverside so have fun!

9. Out with the old in with the new... bolt up the new headers.

10. install and bolt on the dip-stick!

11. This is where im a bit lost on what you are gonna do idk if the truck will run without the 02 sensors hooked up but you can try and drive it to your local exhaust shop and have them fit everything back up for you

If this sounds easy it really aint if you have a friend come help you and you use alot of penetrating lube and elbow grease.

In your case i would just take it to a local shop that has done this many times before and save yourself alot of time and heart ake.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks for the walkthru, my uncle is a mechanic and owns a garage so i'll probably tackle it there, but hes not one to really be doing this kinda mods, he basically just replaces mufflers exhausts ect, just fixes broken cars (as most mechanics do haha) he can be kinda cranky and doesn't like to stray to far from what he does, but if i kinda have somthing to go by and tie up his bay he will be helping me in the end. id rather not have to pay someone to do it if i can possibly help it, just dropped a good bit of coin on headers and a few other things too. i'll be taking pics so if i get stuck i'll be back asking for help lol
wont be installing them for at least 2 weeks, im in camp working, hopefully they will be waiting for me when i go on days off

@THasse haha that is good advice

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
good choice..try to get them coated if you can..I've been running my pacesetter lt's since end of 05, over 175k on them and they still look great..

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
you'll have to reposition your cats if you still have them... I had mined flanged so that I could bolt or unbolt when I want to..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i ordered them coated, and i just have stock cats on,its gonna be a new experience installing them haha

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
look at where your cats are now and then see the pic I posted...your gonna have to cut the cats off and move them further back...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
would i just have one since i don't have true duel exhaust, i wont get to take a look at my truck for 2 weeks im at work now

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Cant run just one 02 sensor you have a total of four 02 sensors 2 will plug into each header at the collector and the other 2 will connect to your cats... WITH THESE HEADERS YOU WILL HAVE TO DO SOME CUTTING AND WELDING TO MAKE THEM FIT... I would think a local exhaust shop is your best bet they shouldn't charge you more than 200-300$ unless they have to bend up all new pipe hopefully they can just cut up your stock crossover pipe and weld it all back up...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is there any benefit of getting a new ypipe or just using the original one

·
Registered
140 Posts
The factory y-pipe is very restrictive. Definitely go with a more free flowing one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
is there better y pipes then others to get, i was talking to a performance shop where i ordered my LT headers form they said they had a y pipe for about 250$ but i searched magnaflow y pipe and there coming up for around 30$ so are there different kinds of y pipes?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts